Sunday, January 29, 2012

Withdrawals and a Fix

I have had some serious withdrawals this week. Serious. Whine and complain and pout withdrawals. Apparently I have an addiction. An addiction I've probably been in denial about for quite some time. You see the Selph household isn't technology crazed. We don't own an Ipad, Kindle, or any kind of cool Internet and app savvy phone. We don't have portable DVD players in the car, a Wii or Xbox, or even a Twitter account. I guess you could say we're a little behind the times. Or a lot. Part of it is by choice. We just not into all that stuff yet. I would consider us simplistic and traditional. (Yes, that definitely sounds better than old fashioned and "behind the times".) The rest of it I would say is due to the budget. Being a stay at home mom means our budget doesn't allow for some of those things... or if it does we choose to spend that money elsewhere... on more important things.

Anyway, what we do have is an Internet connection (duh), email... on Terrell's phone and our laptop, Facebook, and DVR. Haha. So we're not totally living in the 90s. But that's about it. Hence the reason it never really occurred to me just how much I depend on these very necessary and important bits of technology.... until this past week.

Our dear, dear laptop has been sick. Real sick. So sick that we decided it needed to see the computer doctor. Hate when that happens, but we couldn't put it off any longer. Bright and early Wednesday morning, my husband took our only Internet connection (while at home) to the doctor. Supposedly we'd have it back in our hands later that afternoon. Talk about false hope. Instead we did without until late Friday afternoon. Three whole days. This may sound dramatic, but for me, those 3 whole days took for-ever. It was like having no connection to the outside world. I couldn't read blogs and keep up with cyber-friends. I couldn't write about my babies or our everyday happenings or my random thoughts... something I'm way more addicted to than I even realized. I couldn't stay in touch with what was going on with friends and acquaintances on Facebook. I couldn't write any emails or do anything work related that required an Internet connection. It was strange. And not fun. I didn't like not having my email or blog or Internet. Didn't like it one bit. I even had to let the computer doctor know about my impatience once. Not in an ugly way, just an honest, hurryupandgetmypreciouscomputerbacktome way.

I finally got my "fix" on Friday night at my parents house on their computer while I waited for my youngest to go to sleep. Man was it nice catching up on blogs and emails and the outside world. I enjoyed it lots, but limited myself. Too much, too soon could have meant hours away from the fam holed up in front of the computer reading and reading and reading. That wouldn't have been good. But I did learn a few things during my 3 days without the Internet.

1. I love this blog, love to write, and really missed it while it was away.
2. Internet on my phone sounds so appealing now.... specifically for times like last week.
3. I missed reading my favorite blogs more than Facebook.
4. My babies may have had a little more of my attention, but I honestly didn't notice a huge difference. I've worked really hard not to spend time on the computer while they're awake.
5. I think I'm more addicted to technology than my husband. Shocker! Although he had his computer at work and email on his phone to keep him "connected". He didn't come close to suffering like I did.
6. Did I say I love this blog?

Yay for having a healthy computer with an Internet connection back in our home and my blogging fix!!

No comments: