Friday, January 20, 2012

A First!

Today was a first for Austin and I was so excited I felt I must document it. Put it in writing. And celebrate it. But first a little background... I have struggled much with figuring out naps for my baby boy. Some of it has been due to the fact that he's forced to adapt to us... an already established routine and schedule, trips to and from preschool, a loud big brother. And some of it has been the fact that I can't be in two places at one time. If Garrison needs me and can't wait, then Austin has to... which means the routine/wind down process leading up to naptime can very easily be interrupted. But, once baby boy reached 4 months and started eating every 4 hours, his naptime became somewhat predictable. Finally. The only problem... his naps weren't good. His morning nap rarely lasted longer than 30 or 40 minutes. And I tried everything, believe me. It was beyond frustrating. Once I finally, somehow got his morning nap extended, something that took weeks and weeks and I was about to just give up on, the afternoon nap suffered. It was a vicious cycle.

Until today. For the first time ever, well for the first time since he was a newborn and slept all the time, Austin took 2 really good long naps. One in the morning for 2 hours and one in the afternoon for 2 hours. Double yay! (Too bad I couldn't take a nap myself. Maybe one day.) I was so proud... and relieved he was actually capable of it, I decided to go into his room camera-ready when it was time for him to wake up. I was greeted with pure sweetness. A well rested happy baby!


Now let's all hold our breath that those wonderful naps today don't ruin mama and daddy's opportunity for wonderful sleep tonight.

No comments: