Thursday, January 19, 2012

Party Planning Mode

The Selph household is in official party planning mode for our favorite almost 3 year old's birthday party! Correction: mama is in party planning mode- daddy is in supportive, helpful, whatever you say mode. Haha. I ask for his opinions and long for his input, but overall he just wants whatever I want... as long as it doesn't break the budget, which would be great if only I knew what I wanted. Ahhh, why must I be so indecisive? Bad, bad trait.

The party is coming up in 2 weeks and so far, we know the location- A "family only" party at Granna and Papa's house 1 more year before we start paying for a party location and inviting school friends, have the invitations- my oh so talented friend Megan designed them for us again this year, know the theme- cue the music...It's the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse..., and have a "menu" planned- hot dogs and chili (thanks to my mom for that idea!). Unfortunately, it's just the little details we're unsure of. And I don't know why I'm using the pronoun "we" when if there's one thing I do know, it's that the pronoun I should be using is "I". Anyway, it's those little details that are making me crazy. Not cabin fever crazy, just frustrated crazy.

We don't go overboard on birthday parties and spend tons of money or do super elaborate things, but we do like to make things special and a big deal for the birthday boy. I like the cake to be something my little man will really love and be impressed with, I like the food to be enjoyable for the guests, I like to do some sort of picture display to represent the months and/or years leading up to another birthday, and I like the decor to be cute and fun for Garrison and the birthday party attendees (which can be sort of challenging because I like it to be both kid and grown-up friendly). And this year, for some reason, I've been stumped when it comes to the details of the decor, and the picture display, and the even the birthday boy's present. Plus I'm trying really hard to keep spending to a minimum. Plus I'm trying to keep up with 2 boys everyday and get back into the swing of things with Premier. Clearly I'm not supermom. Bummer.

But, now that we're nearing the home stretch, I've decided to get myself in gear and get this 3rd birthday party planned and finalized! I've also made the decision not to stress out about those little details that keep making me crazy. I know it will all come together and hopefully my little man, and his guests, will enjoy all the celebrating and fun of this 3rd birthday party. Until then, party planning mode will continue in full swing...

No comments: