Friday, January 13, 2012

Amazing Memory

As parents, I believe we're allowed to be amazed at the smallest little accomplishments and skills and talents of our little ones. Whether it's trying a new food, using good manners, taking first steps, sharing a toy, or singing abc's, we're happy and proud and ready to celebrate. We even beam with pride. I mean, our babies are so special and so loved by us that we're easily impressed and rightly biased. Whether it's Garrison loving on Austin or Austin letting out a perfect laugh, I feel like a proud mama and all warm and fuzzy. (And I really have to work hard to remember all those special moments and sweetness they have on the not so wonderful days when I'm running out of patience and feeling totally frustrated and overwhelmed.) Having said all that, this post is all about my amazement of one of Garrison Cade's "skills". It's a record for us to always have, and for our families who are just about as impressed as we are. I don't mean to brag, I'm just honestly SO impressed by him.


My firstborn has the. most. amazing. memory (in my opinion). It's crazy how well he is able to memorize books and songs, and how he remembers people's names, or conversations with family members that took place a long time ago, or places/locations he's been. There have been several times lately that we're just left speechless. We've actually had a few "how is that possible... who are you??" moments. Haha. It's so funny... but crazy too. I wanted to list all the examples I could think of so I'd have a "record" of it and so I'll be able to show him one day, but it's hard to do a "list" of these without a little background. I'll try not to get too long-winded...


We've always known that he remembers people and places very well, but lately we've been shocked at what's coming out of his mouth. The most recent has been his remembrance of stories from his little toddler Bible. He has his favorites like Noah and the Ark, Joshua and the Walls of Jericho, Samuel Hears God, etc. But then there's the ones that have only been read to him once or twice in his entire life. Well, a week or two ago he decided he wanted me to read one of those... that I've only read to him maybe 2 times. Ever. It's called Paul and the Bright Light. The way he requested it was by saying "Afer this one I want you read bout how Paul wanted to hurt God's people." That's a direct line from the Bible story. Word for word. How did he remember that when we haven't read that story in months??

Another one he requested was the one about "Marfa". (The story of Mary and Martha). I only remember reading that story to him once. A long time ago.... probably 6 months ago. Terrell has never read it to him. The crazy thing is that he even pointed out which one was "Marfa". The one with the broom.


He also asked for the story "Lijah's Special Prayer" (referring to Elijah praying for rain). This is the exact title of the story from his Bible and it's another one that's only been read to him once or twice months ago.


On the way home from Barnesville on New Year's Day, we heard him in the backseat saying "The angel Gabriel told Mary she was going to haf a 'pecial baby name Jesus. I bring you good news of great joy, and the shepherds pick up their lambs to go see baby Jesus." He was reciting the Christmas story. It was so precious to hear, but it was also kinda crazy that our 2.5 year old was in the backseat reciting the Christmas story! I guess it was read to him so many times from his little Christmas books during the month of December that he memorized it.


A couple of weeks before Christmas I was in Barnesville with the kiddos having lunch with my mom and sister at our fav Mexican restaurant. We hadn't been to eat there in months. It was yummy. Once we got home, Garrison asked me out of the blue, "Where was Brent?" Brent is a waiter we always speak to when we're there... and occasionally he's our waiter. He wasn't there that day at lunch and Garrison not only noticed, he remembered his name and everything. I was speechless.


My sister is a Resident Director at Gordon College in our hometown and Garrison has been to her apartment maybe 3 times. The last time we were there and driving down the road her dorm is off of, he said, "That where AnAn live?" Cuh-razy.


Garrison is quite nosy (don't know where he gets it from) and asks Terrell questions about work all the time. A couple of weeks ago Terrell told him about a customer he had to help named Brandy. The name was mentioned once and little man was satisfied to know daddy helped her with something. Well yesterday when Terrell was going to work he said, "Who you gone see at work daddy? Thought about it a minute and said, "Oh... will Brandy be there?"


He learned the Pledge of Allegiance and the National Anthem last summer. He still refers to a short conversation Terrell and Papa had one weekend about our suitcases, talks about seeing the ducks with Granny in Cartersville (last July), brings up watching the Buggy Days parade (last September). And I'm sure I'm forgetting others. If you have a secret or something you don't want Garrison to remember, it's best to keep it to yourself. This little man has the best memory of anyone I know. We're praying this amazing memory helps him accomplish great things as he gets older!

No comments: