Thursday, May 23, 2013

Brotherly Love

The last time I wrote a post like this I had an adorable almost 3 year old and a sweet little 4 month old who loved each other SO much they couldn't get enough of each other. They were smitten for sure. It was so precious to watch day after day.
 
Then, we had a stretch of tough love. We knew they still loved each other but it wasn't always pretty. Austin became mobile. He got into Garrison's toys and prized possessions. Garrison got a little (or a lot) rough with Austin. Austin learned to fight back. There were some issues with sharing. And we were left wondering what happened to that sweet big brother and how in the world our boys were ever going to play together and get along. It was stressful and troubling. I didn't like that stretch very much.
 
But then, a couple of months ago, my boys reached a turning point in their relationship. They truly became friends. Best buds. Awesome playmates. PTL! Ever since that point, things have been different around here and ever since things have changed I've been meaning to write this post. 
 

I remember the night they first ran around chasing each other and laughing and squealing and having the best time ever together. It was music to my ears and such a blessing and answered prayer. I loved it and was sooo thankful for it.

Then, slowly but surely, they started playing together more and more. Austin got a little older and could do a little more. Garrison got a little older and a little more patient. They learned how to play with their toys together, do puzzles together, read together, even share and take turns together. It felt like a miracle!

This past month they have been SO close. They ask for each other first thing in the morning and first thing after naptime. They love playing together and can entertain each other for a looong time. They miss each other when they're apart and don't like being separated.

The night Terrell and Garrison went out to eat without us because Austin was recovering from the stomach bug, Austin went over to our back door twice and started asking for and eventually crying for brother. It was so sweet. And broke my heart a little too. Garrison misses Austin when he sleeps late or is napping or sick. They just love being together.

Which is part of the reason I don't like them separated. I know eventually they'll become more independent, but while they're still this little I'd rather them be together. (I really like all 4 of us together the best, but if they are away from us I want them together.)

Every night before bedtime Austin gives Garrison a big ole hug and Garrison grabs Austin's face and gives him a big ole kiss. It is possibly the sweetest, most precious thing ever.
 
Melt my heart. Austin was never interested in the games much, but he loved watching brother hit. And Garrison always made a point to come out of the dugout or to call us over and give Austin a kiss and say Did you see me hit that ball, Austin?

I am beyond grateful for the friendship and bond they've formed. I'm praying they are always close and always each other's very best friend.
While we most certainly still have fighting over toys and screaming at each other and hitting and pushing and mama refereeing, they love each DEEPLY, and for that I am most thankful. Brotherly love. There's just nothing like it.

No comments: