Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Day 2 of Summer Fun

I promise I'm not going to do a daily recap of every single day this summer. Yesterday just turned out to be another great one that had to be documented.
 
We started the day with breakfast, chores, and errands. Then we did our first craft of the summer. Ziplock bag books! Austin made one of colors and Garrison made one of simple addition. It turned out to be way more challenging than I expected because Austin wanted to sample his crayons. I literally pulled tiny bits of yellow crayon out of his mouth. While he wasn't impressed with the taste of yellow, it didn't stop him from sampling other colors as well. Goodness. Anyway, after he wrapped up coloring his pages for all of 30 seconds, I moved onto Garrison's book. Garrison loved making the book (which was great!) but Austin didn't appreciate the lack of attention from mama and brother. Sooooo, looks like I've got some tweaking to do when it comes to my crafts and "homeschooling" this summer.
 
All in all our morning was good. Challenging, but good.
 
Our afternoon and evening however were GREAT. After naptime the boys woke up, ate a snack, and we went outside. It was SO hot and humid though. My firstborn even started to complain about the heat. So I decided to let them play in water. Austin loved it and got drenched pretty fast so we planned for a swim in the kiddie pool as soon as daddy got home. Our really tiny kiddie pool since the blow-up one wasn't ready.

It worked out perfect because they enjoyed swimming and playing in the water while Terrell grilled and I finished up cooking inside. Once supper was ready we got them dried off and had the best meal. Grilled pork chops, green beans, and mashed potatoes. The boys ate their weight in everything. They even wanted seconds and thirds of green beans. We didn't have a crumb leftover. Their appetites were HUGE. It's not looking good for our future grocery bill!

After supper it was still early so we let them go back outside for another "swim" (if you can even call it that in that teensy tiny pool), with the understanding that they would have to stay in the pool or on the patio. Terrell went out with them while I cleaned up the kitchen and watched the first half of Army Wives... a show I watch but my hubby doesn't. Having a few minutes to relax on the couch before the bath/bedtime craziness began was perfect.

Once it was time for the boys to come inside I went out to help Terrell get them dried off so they could go right in for a bath. Imagine my surprise when I found both boys playing on the slide and completely filthy. As in covered in grass and dirt. As in the dirtiest they've ever been. Ever. Oh. My. Gracious. They were gross. And having the best time!

We hosed them down a little outside, carried them striaght to the bath tub, washed them off again, and then finally got around to an actually bath. Their feet didn't touch the floor until they were squeaky clean.

Bath time and bedtime were crazy as usual but Terrell and I were both thankful for everything that led up to the craziness.

Summer memories. What fun. =)

No comments: