Monday, March 19, 2012

The "French Fry"

The day my oldest little man had been so looking forward to arrived on Saturday when it was finally time for the french fry. He was SO excited... even though it was obvious he didn't really know what it was... except for the part about playing outside with his cousins and celebrating a birthday with cake and ice cream.

My mom's side of the family has 6 birthdays between February and April so it's become a tradition to get together and have a combined birthday party shindig for everybody at my parents' house. Last year's fish fry was such a hit, we had another one this year. We knew Garrison would be outside almost all day, so we made a nap a priority. But, because he was so wound up and excited, he had a hard time going to sleep (it's actually debatable whether he fell asleep or not) and took a short nap (meaning he was quiet for less than an hour).

The first guests arrived as soon as he "woke up" and from that point forward he fulfilled his dream of "french fry" bliss. Driving his jeep all over the yard, playing with his cousins, taking a break to watch Granny and Uncle Terry pull fish out of the cooler, driving his jeep around some more, collecting rocks, pine cones, and sticks, taking another break to watch Uncle Terry do some frying, putting more miles on his jeep, watching the big boys play baseball, putting more miles on the jeep, and eventually taking a break to eat. Whoa. He had a ball. The best time ever. Except for when he got his heart broken because he couldn't play baseball with the big boys (his teenage and almost teenage cousins). But I'm a big boy mama. Bless his heart.

Garrison played so hard that more than once Terrell and I looked at each other and exchanged a glance that said, "We're officially on countdown for a meltdown." Unfortunately that's just how it goes. I guess it's worth it. Except for when I approached him to make his picture and as soon as he saw me coming said, "I don't need you, mama." Excuse me?! Then there were the multiple times he thought it would be okay to ignore me and his daddy because he was too busy playing. Parenting is tough. And requires tough skin. Goodness.




My baby boy took everything in and enjoyed being passed around after he woke up from his nap. He was laid back and easy going and saved his meltdown for after midnight. Haha!




Baby boy was worn out himself...
And so was daddy...
All the birthday folks... (except for Granny, whose birthday is in November. She had to move over while we sang Happy Birthday)
Garrison got to blow out some of the candles... just another highlight to his fun filled day.

Even though we experienced a meltdown (because one most certainly occurred at bathtime) and hurt feelings (that would be me when my 3 year old said he didn't need me!) and were all exhausted afterwards (but not as much as my parents who amaze me by hosting so many people at their house all the time), it was a fun day with family celebrating birthdays of lots of special people. And my babies loved it. I think Garrison would agree, the french fry did not disappoint.

No comments: