Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A Different Kind of Workout

The workout routine around here has been lacking... not in intensity and not in effectively making us sore- we're good in both those areas. What's been lacking is commitment, which I'm afraid is completely, totally, 100% our fault. What's the saying about making time for the things that are important to you and that you really want to do? Like me sitting here blogging. I make time for it because I enjoy it and I want to and it's one of my favorite hobbies. Working out, not so much.

But, in our defense, something always seems to come up. One of us isn't feeling well, one of the boys has trouble going to sleep at a decent hour, one of us needs to work after the kids go to bed, our favorite show is coming on... haha. (It's rare that we actually sit down together in the evenings to watch a show, so when a favorite is coming on, we prioritize!)

Anyway, the point is that I'm feeling frustrated about our lack of commitment... and time and energy and dedication when it comes to working out. Sometimes I even feel guilty. But sometimes I don't... because we're tired and work hard all day and want to relax in the evenings. And lately I'm feeling torn. Torn between the desire to be in shape and feel healthy, and the reality that fulfilling that desire means being disciplined and intentional and committed. And that's tough. Except when it comes to blogging. Or reading. Or doing something I really want to do.

Sooo, there's a new plan in place. A new way of thinking. A new attitude. A new sheriff in town. His name? Austin Selph. For the past week and a half, my littlest man has been giving me a workout all by himself. He gets my heart rate up and my muscles working and keeps me running. Literally. Baby boy is strong, on the move, and heavy. Every diaper and wardrobe change is officially a challenge. He is so determined to roll over that it's a constant wrestling match between me and him. And my arms are feeling it. He can now escape from almost anywhere I put him. The bumbo seat no longer contains him. He can roll completely over in his bouncy seat even though he's strapped in, and if he's on the floor in any room-be prepared to chase him because he's a fast roller and has even started trying to scoot.

Last night cooking supper wore me out. It was exhausting. The only safe place to put him was inside his "jumpy" seat and he couldn't stay there the whole time I cooked. I ended up putting him down for 2 minutes at a time, asking Garrison to entertain him and play beside him, and then holding him while I did some one-handed cooking. Even during the 2 minute stretches he was sitting in his bumbo or bouncy he was trying to escape... and dangerously close. My arms were burning by the time daddy walked in from work... so I promptly handed over baby boy.

After supper Garrison and Terrell went out to play baseball, and since I wasn't feeling up to "containing" Austin in a particular spot or location, I put him in the stroller and we went for a little walk. Another workout-check.
Needless to say, Terrell and I did not do our at home fitness routine last night. Instead, he stayed on the phone forever with at&t trying to get access to his email and I made Garrison's lunch for school and watched some of Dancing with the Stars. And for once, I didn't feel so guilty about not working out. I cut myself a break because I did get in a workout yesterday, and that was enough. It won't be enough every single day, but on some days it's definitely enough. We'll still strive for 3 nights a week of an actual workout routine, but if we don't get around to it every single week, it's okay. Our boys do their part keeping us active and in shape, and as long as we're trying and making an effort and getting outside and doing our routine once or twice a week, it's all good. It's just a different kind of workout. One I think I'm okay with. Now if I could just have some self-control when it comes to my eating habits...

No comments: