Monday, April 2, 2012

Weekend Revelations

This weekend was a little bit of a whirlwind for us. I had to "work" on Friday night... meaning I had a Premier show, then we woke up pretty early to head to Barnesville for the day on Saturday (where we had a fun but exhausting time), then we had a sort of rough night on Saturday after getting home, then we slept in yesterday and just hung out at home. (So much for going to church every single Sunday no matter what.)

Our weekend turned out to be filled with lots of good and a little of not so good. I think Terrell and I both came away with some revelations...

1. Day trips are tough. There is never enough time to relax and just enjoy ourselves. We're always watching the clock trying to make sure we see everyone we need to see and still get back home to Covington at a decent hour. (Because typically both boys are exhausted and need to be in bed on time, or else.) Our time is always divided. Which can be sort of stressful. And that's a bummer. BUT....

2. Day trips are fun. Our boys have a ball. We get to see lots of family because everyone's in one place. We're only an hour away so it's so doable. We get to wake up in our own beds on Sunday morning. We don't have to pack a suitcase... or a million other things our family of 4 requires when spending the night away from home.

3. Day trips are filled with pros and cons. That's the reality. Period. Accept them or not... except you don't really have a choice but to accept them because it is what it is, or should I say, they are what they are.

4. Having older cousins who want to play with you and are patient and loving towards you and sacrifice the eggs they found first but point them out to you so you can have more, are such a blessing. My babies have amazing older cousins.... who just so happen to be my baby cousins on both my mom's and dad's sides of the family. I know one day those older cousins will outgrow playing with my boys, but for now they are the sweetest, loving, little playmates to my 3 year old. And they even enjoy Austin too.

5. Hunting for eggs with money inside is so exciting! Especially for mama and daddy who actually know how much the money is worth and love filling up the piggy banks just about as much as our oldest little man. My Nanny came up with that one by the way. It was a big hit.

6. My boys are going to start expecting every single card they receive in the mail to contain money. Oh dear. Saturday evening when we got home and checked the mail they each had an Easter card containing a little something for their piggy banks. (Plus Garrison's contained stickers which was just as popular.) I wonder when the day will come when they won't want to put the money inside their banks, they'll want to spend it right away. I'm sure Terrell will have an appropriate speech planned about the value of saving money whenever that day comes. Ha!

7. We can't read each other's minds. (Meaning me and Terrell.) When will I learn this?! How much more suffering will I endure before it sinks in?! For some reason, I often assume that Terrell knows what I'm thinking or what I want or how I want such and such handled. Poor hubby. It's not fair to him for me to make these assumptions. One day (soon I hope!) I'm going to learn to open my mouth and verbally communicate as opposed to sending him telepahtic signals. Good gracious.

8. I am very Type A. (Boo.) I like having a plan. And I like following a plan. But that isn't a revelation. The revelation is that in spite of my Type A-niss and the stress that inevitably occurs when things don't go exactly like I had planned, in the end, 9 times out of 10, everything turns out okay. And here's another revelation.... if I could just let go of the control I like to cling to and pry my fingers away from it without feeling worked up or disappointed or frustrated, all the stress and drama could be avoided. Gasp! Who knew? If only it were that easy. But it is something I'm prayerfully working on. Opening my mouth and letting go... because in my case they sort of go together.

9. Forgetting to take my Zyrtec after more than 36 hours have passed will make me miserable. And hate the outdoors. There is officially no need for me to test out the 48 hour theory ever again. Even though this time I wasn't testing it out, I just honestly forgot.

10. My baby boy (who will be 7 months old tomorrow!) is officially a great baby. After our crazy day on Saturday and traveling around and being held a lot and being outside a lot and missing naps and having his little routine totally disrupted, he took it all in stride and never once had a fit or meltdown about any of it. We are blessed. Times two.

No comments: