Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Waiting for Austin

Time for the waiting game. Ahh. Waiting isn't always the easiest or most pleasant thing to have to do, but that's officially the stage we're in and I know being patient these last few weeks are really important for Austin to be completely ready to make his debut. I'm just a couple of days away from being 36 weeks/9 months pregnant and Austin is definitely making his presence known. We're working towards getting everything ready and preparing ourselves mentally for our newest addition. I told Terrell last night after Garrison went to bed and we were just lounging on the couches (I take the big couch, Terrell takes the love seat) watching the Braves game that in a few weeks we'll be busy taking care of a new baby after Garrison goes to bed instead of relaxing. That's an exciting and overwhelming thought at the same time.

So far, waiting for Austin has included some sharp pains and discomfort that are very unnerving to this mama. With Garrison I had SO many people tell me there was no way I'd make it to February (his due date was Feb 6th) and so throughout the month of January I was constantly waiting for Braxton Hicks or some sort of pain, or even for my water to break unexpectedly one day. Yet I never felt a thing. Ever. It was crazy waiting around to feel something and wanting to feel something so I knew it was "time". But Garrison was perfectly content and growing by the day, so he needed a little encouragement to be born. Haha! Thankfully a midwife at my doctor's office determined he was a pretty big baby and scheduled an ultrasound... which then led to being induced. I was never actually induced because I never had to have the pitocin, but they did put me in the hospital and helped to get the process started.

Anyway, got a little sidetracked... the point is that I'm not used to having these "pains" and don't know what to think about them. I called Terrell one day this week after having a really long and uncomfortable "contraction" (at least that's what I'm calling it). He didn't seem phased by it at all... just told me to call him back if it happened again. Looking back I guess I did sort of over-react about that one, but it kind of freaked me out! At least I can always count on Terrell to be the calm one.

There have been lots of differences between the end of this pregnancy and the end of my pregnancy with Garrison~ and I want to document them so I'll always have a way to remember.

*I've mentioned the pains/Braxton Hicks, but I've also felt a lot more pressure this time around, almost like he's pushing down on me.
*He's also been really active lately. More active than I remember Garrison being. I love feeling him move but it can also get a little uncomfortable because he's clearly getting bigger and stronger.
*Driving for longer than 10 minutes has become one of my least favorite things to do. I start to feel very uncomfortable, like he's cramped and in my ribs and all I want to do is get out of the car and stretch out. Riding in the car isn't so bad because I have some control over my position.
*I have to go to the bathroom all the time throughout the day. I was teaching up until the week before I had Garrison and I do not remember having to go that much.
*My feet and ankles are starting to get fat. They don't look way swollen or anything, they're just fatter than they've ever been.
*I get hot and sweaty very easily. Yuck. Clearly this wasn't much of an issue for me in January or February.
*I'm actually not waking up in the middle of the night needing to make a trip to the bathroom... yet. That has really shocked me. I remember doing this lots more with Garrison.

Overall I'm still feeling pretty good and even feel kind of guilty for ever complaining. I know lots of moms have it way worse than me. Thankfully we're slowly making progress on the nursery and crossing things off our to-do list. I'm thinking about adding packing my hospital bag and putting in the car seat to that list. I just keep having this feeling that he might come early. But I could be way off on that. Who knows. We also need to set up the pack n' play and get our room ready for Austin to spend his first few nights or weeks with us before moving to the nursery.

It feels like there are so many things we're doing differently this time around just because we're more prepared and know what to expect, and I'm loving that feeling. (The delivery method on the other hand is another issue. I'm just praying it's clear what we should do...) We're not diving into the unknown or doing something we've never done before. I know it will be challenging having 2 little ones to take care of, and I'm already preparing for meltdowns (of my own) in the future, but I'm so excited about the potential of being more relaxed and comfortable and at ease this time. And I'm SO appreciative of friends who back this up and tell me the second time around really is easier and more laid back. I know that's what we're praying for!

Until it's time, we'll just be playing the waiting game. =)

No comments: