Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Notes from the Break

Oh, Thanksgiving Break how we love you. My biggest boy home all day, sleeping later, lots and lots of extra play time for my bigs, no real schedule, movie nights on week nights... so fun and restful and very much enjoyed by our whole fam. And the best part is that this year during our week long break, we're relaxed. We aren't packing. We aren't rushing to decorate the house because we're about to be out of town for days. We aren't exhausting ourselves with the busyness of preparing to travel. It has been SO nice. I'm just praising God for this time with my family. (And the bonus is that Terrell has Thursday and Friday off!!!)

Anyway, here are my notes... starting with this past weekend...

On Friday night I had a girls night out with 2 of my favorite mama friends. Our babies are all in Kindergarten together and we have tons in common and have just enjoyed experiencing big school together and doing life together. We went out to eat at the best little restaurant and talked all night. And after my crazy day (and week last week!), it was just what I needed. I am so thankful for them.

Then, on Saturday morning I got together with the Dream Team and we had a little baby shower for one of our members. Sooo fun catching up with my most favorite co-workers/grade level/fellow teachers ever! The 2nd grade Dream Team is pretty much a legend now. =) And I'm so thankful we still make an effort to get together about twice a year. I didn't know what to do with myself with so much grown-up time!


Then on Saturday night my mom had a little birthday party for my Granny. My dad grilled out steaks and we had a huge feast and of course enjoyed cake and ice cream. And my big boys singing to Granny and blowing out the candles on her cake was just priceless.

Things went from sweet and precious...
 
...To pretty much the most hilarious blowing out of candles ever!
 
We could not stop laughing. Those 2 know how to christen a cake! Ha!
 
On Sunday morning Layton and I stayed home from church to try to help him get over whatever cold/fever bug he had come down with at the end of the week. Then we just cleaned the house and did laundry and relaxed on Sunday afternoon... until we had a tornado scare. Not fun. Tornadoes are no joke and I think our whole town holds it's breath anytime there's a warning. Thankfully it avoided us and we just went without power from like 5:00 to midnight Sunday night. It was interesting eating supper and getting everyone in the bed in the dark and silence. No night lights or sound machines was a big adjustment! Oh the things we take for granted.
 
Monday was low-key and fun. My big boys are definitely taking advantage of all this extra play time together. They have had the best time this week.
 
On Tuesday my baby was diagnosed with RSV and gave us a little scare when his breathing turned heavy and raspy. Thankfully he's responded well to breathing treatments and seems to be on the mend. It hasn't slowed him down one bit so I'm taking that as a good sign. =)
 
And now on Thanksgiving Eve we're soaking up our family time. We went out to lunch with AnAn and Frankie. The boys got haircuts. We've had lots of playtime. And we're looking forward to leftovers for supper and our 2nd night in a row of a Christmas movie with the kiddos before bed. I am so blessed and sooo thankful for this timely break and the holiday season! Happy Thanksgiving from our family to yours!!

No comments: