Thursday, December 5, 2013

Whirlwind of an Update

Where do I begin? We've had ourselves quite a week. A doozy. A meltdown-causing, stress-inducing, wild whirlwind of a week. And it's only Thursday. Sigh.

Terrell came home Monday night from work and went straight to bed. He had a fever, body aches, chills, the works. He felt terrible and stayed in bed all night except for getting up once to eat a little something. The boys saw him for approximately 30 seconds before telling him goodnight. And not because it was bedtime but because I had warned them that daddy was sick and was going to bed as soon as he got home from work. Thankfully the evening wasn't too crazy with me flying solo. Bedtime was a little more difficult than usual but they finally stopped talking and went to sleep.

Meanwhile, fear crept in for me. I started feeling really nervous and paranoid about Terrell having the flu and about him passing it on to the rest of us. I was especially worried about Layton and even let some scary thoughts creep in during my paranoid moments. Soo, I slept on the couch Monday night and tried to keep my distance from our bedroom at all cost. I actually slept okay other than Austin waking up crying a few times. But everything about avoiding my husband and our bedroom and doing everything totally on my own was starting to weigh on me... probably because exhaustion set in. Terrell and I are a team in every sense of the word. Not just when it comes to parenting but when it comes to just about everything. Needless to say I was missing my teammate big time.

Tuesday came and Austin and I took Garrison to school and then did a little Christmas shopping and tried to stay away from the house as much as possible. Thankfully Terrell was feeling a little better and we were hopeful that maybe he didn't have the flu afterall. By the time his doctor appointment rolled around at 3:30 we were feeling very optimistic. We assumed he'd be diagnosed with something but then we'd get back to normal around here pretty quick-like. The kids and I were just waiting around for word that he was heading home with some take-out supper for us. (I had planned to attend the Women's Gala at church on Tuesday night, but had to change plans because of Terrell being sick and his appointment taking SO long. Take-out was our back-up.)

Anyway, around 6:00 when Terrell finally finished up at the doctor we found out he was negative for the flu but he was sick and contagious (bronchitis and sinusitis) and it was best for the boys and I to leave home for a day or two. Doctor's reccomendation. And that's when mama fell apart and sort of had a meltdown. I was NOT prepared to pack up our house, round up my wild boys, figure out supper since we were all starving, and drive an hour in nasty, foggy, rainy weather to my parents house on such short notice. I became emotional and snappy and stressed. The hormones betrayed me and were out of control. Not good. 

The boys and I all had meltdowns as we packed up and put on pj's and loaded up the car to get on the road. They were confused and flustered just like me... and possibly because of me. Sad but true. One day I'm going to learn to stay calm and go with the flow. I just know it.

We all took turns praying once we ventured out into the dark, messy night. My nerves were so shaky I was sort of concerned about the drive. But the prayers were priceless. I said a prayer, Garrison said a prayer, Austin said a prayer. And we kept praying for the first 10 minutes or so of our drive. My nerves slowly but surely calmed and I finally felt at peace. Then we listened to Christmas carols or sang our own the rest of the way... and made it safely to Granna and Papa's house. Praise God.

The boys finally got settled and went to bed after eating just a little more for supper since all they'd had were a few chicken nuggets in the car on the way down. Unfortunately, the rest of the night didn't go so well. Garrison started feeling bad and woke up around midnight crying and complaining of a sore throat and stuffy nose... which woke Ausin up. Then Austin woke up around 2:30 thinking it was 7:00 and time to start the day... which woke Garrison up. I heard them talking and carrying on just like they do every morning. Except it was 2:39 AM! After doing my best to get Austin to stop talking and go back to sleep I just put him in the bed with me so at least Garrison could get some sleep without being disturbed. We all slept late, which was nice, but my big boy woke up with a fever and feeling terrible. Nooo!

After much discussion, stress, and phone calls to family members and doctor's offices we made the decision to take him to the doctor in Barnesville. In the end it was our best and quickest option. Poor baby was pitiful. He could hardly eat because his throat was so sore and he just felt terrible from the fever. We went into the doctor's office with him sobbing. The last place he wanted to be was at the doctor. It broke my heart and I thought I might fall apart. My emotions and hormones were all over the place.

He tested positive for strep but negative for the flu. Good news and bad I guess. I was totally shocked he had strep. While he is very susceptible to getting strep he has never had a high fever (or any fever at all), sore throat, and headache to go with it. He felt so bad he was just miserable. We got medicine, ice cream to help us all feel better, and went back to Granna and Papa's house to pack up. Terrell was feeling better and had been on his medicine for 24 hours and I just wanted my big boy back at home in his own bed. We barely left in time to make it almost home before dark.

We are all still exhausted, not feeling the greatest, and slightly flustered but we are praying we can get well and stay well. Even though this week has not been easy and has definitely not brought out the best in me, I was reminded during my quiet time this morning to Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18.) Wow. The timing of this "reminder" was divine.

I am thankful my parents live close enough for us to come crash at their house on a random Tuesday night when needed. I am thankful for the safe trip God provided in not so great weather. I am rejoicing because my husband is on the mend. I am thankful for doctors and medicine. I am thankful my dad was able to keep Austin while I took Garrison to the doctor. I am rejoicing because no one has the flu. I am rejoicing because we're all back home together under the same roof again.

God is faithful...during the crazy, the sickness, the whirlwind. Think I'll be meditating on 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 today. =)

No comments: