Monday, December 9, 2013

After the Whirlwind...

Things calmed down. Funny how that always happens. Even though in the moment I think "normal" is so far away and it's tough to see the light at the end of the tunnel, things always calm down. We were BLESSED that both Terrell's and Garrison's sicknesses wrapped up pretty fast and they both were on the mend quickly. Thank you Lord.

Thursday was very low key. Both boys slept late and then we stayed home almost the whole day and we didn't even have anything planned. Garrison slowly but surely felt better and better and by the time bedtime rolled around he was pretty much back to normal.

On Friday we all made it back to school! We had a bit of a crazy afternoon but stayed in Friday night and had leftovers and got the boys to bed at a decent hour... except my sweet Austin seems to have regressed in the bedtime/going to sleep department. We have no idea what is going on. We had a good, long stretch a couple of weeks ago of the boys going to sleep totally on their own after talking for a few minutes...Terrell and I never had to go back in their room or anything. They had just adjusted and went to sleep without any help or firm talks from us. Then all of sudden, Austin started crying at bedtime, getting out of the bed, talking after "talking time" was over, waking up in the middle of night, etc. NOT fun. We want our easy bedtime back! Having to go back in their room 5 times every night OR having to take Austin to the nursery to rock him so Garrison can have some peace and quiet and so Austin can get sleepy hasn't been easy. Bedtime seems to be so late every night. Maybe we'll figure it out soon. The joys of sharing a room at such young ages I guess.

Saturday morning we loaded up for Christmas shopping. The boys actually went to Chuck E. Cheese while mama shopped solo. So nice! Since Thanksgiving was so late this year, shopping days are limited and so are baby-sitters. Terrell and I have had to get creative when it comes to making our Christmas purchases. We even made one big Santa purchase while the kids were with us and they never knew. Whew! We've also done lots of online shopping this year. Possibly the most ever. On Saturday I was able to get some things accomplished while the boys had fun with daddy~ a win-win!

Saturday afternoon was very relaxed and then Terrell's parents came over to baby-sit (thanks Nana and Pops!) so we could go to our Sunday School Christmas party. Believe it or not, Terrell and I had never been to a grown-up Sunday School Christmas party. We were nervous and it was a little out of our comfort zone, but we had a really fun night! We still aren't totally comfortable and at home in our class or at church here, but we're getting there. I'm so glad everyone was well so we didn't have to miss a fun Christmas social.

Sunday was really laid back. We all rested after church. My big boy even took a nap on the couch. We've decided there are still days when he needs a nap so we're going to let him watch a show and then turn off the TV and just let him get comfy and truly rest for a while. He may or may not go to sleep but at least he'll be given the opportunity to rest. Watching a show for him is "still" and relaxing, but not restful. His brain is still going. Hopefully our new method will work out great.

Today we're home from school and preparing to get started on our wrapping and having chili for supper. The perfect ray of sunshine on this cold, wet, dreary Monday.

*I'm hoping to reveal our Christmas card and family photos this week... plus my 30 week update... plus a Christmas tour of our house. Fun stuff. =)

No comments: