Sunday, September 8, 2013

Austin's 2nd Birthday Party

We had Austin's 2nd birthday party on Saturday at my parents' house in Barnesville. We usually do "family" parties for the first 3 years and since the majority of our family lives in Barnesville and my parents' house has plenty of room, it works out great to do the family parties there. HUGE thanks to my parents for hosting another party for us. We wouldn't have been able to do it without them! They are amazing hosts!! We do plan to host our babies' parties one day... if we can ever move back to the hometown. I'm sure my parents will be relieved. Ha!

The invitation was designed by my sweet and talented friend Megan. I highly recommend her! We LOVED our littlest man's invite!

We went with a Mickey Mouse theme with a focus on the colors red, black, and white. It was a lot of hard work to pull off but everything turned out great and it was all definitely worth it come party time.

Of course I had to do a picture display. =) I've done one at every party so far. This display was on my parents' foyer table and held 9 pictures of big happenings or holidays from the year between Austin's 1st and 2nd birthdays. You can't really tell from the picture but I labeled each one. I was really happy with how it turned out.


The centerpiece on the dining room table was an order from Etsy (I just couldn't figure out how to make anything like it myself) and everything else was pretty simple... balloons and little Mickey's.

The only thing I didn't get a picture of was the cute black and white straws I found at Hobby Lobby. They were the perfect addition and quite popular. (And the favor bags were simple red gift bags with black tissue paper. Every bag was slightly different because our "kid" party guests ranged in age from 2 to 14.)
The birthday boy's cake! So cute and super yummy.

Austin was wide open right before his party started. I'm talking wild man. He was into everything and just wound up and excited. Then as soon as our guests started to arrive he got really shy and overwhelmed. He just didn't know what to think or how to act with so much attention. He pretty much let any and everybody hold him with his head rested against them until we ate. It was so funny. Terrell, my mom, and I were all shocked after his wild and crazy morning!
 
Terrell snapped this picture of us saying the blessing. The boys sang the "Lollipop" blessing for everyone. So sweet.

After we ate all the kiddos (and Terrell) headed out to the waterslide. This was the biggest hit. The kids LOVED it. (Especially my husband, the biggest kid of all.) Well, every kid except for Austin loved it. Austin went down once with Terrell and cried pretty much the whole time. Poor thing was content to stay dry and watch. I think my big boy slid down no less than 35 times. He had a ball.

Once we got the kids off the waterslide we came in for cake and presents. I think this was Austin's favorite part of the party. He was so shy while everyone sang to him but blew out the candle and loved every bite of his cake and ice cream. And he especially loved opening presents. =)

Once he finished opening presents almost everyone went back out to slide. Even Papa got on the slide! Austin stayed in to play with toys first. By the time he came out to watch everybody slide he was exhausted. It was naptime and he was just worn out from partying all day.
We had a really fun, successful party and loved celebrating our baby boy's 2nd birthday with family. We can't thank my parents enough for hosting and for all of their help with party planning and pulling everything off. We are also thankful for Terrell's parents picking up the cake for us. Every year we're all going in different directions on party day or the day before trying to get everything ready and we're so thankful for our parents and their help!

The boys were asleep a few minutes after we got in the car heading home. We crashed last night and everyone slept really good (including me!) after our long day of partying.

Happy Birthday again to our precious 2 year old!!!

No comments: