Friday, April 5, 2013

Spring Break Part 2~ Gatlinburg

This year's trip to Gatlinburg with the Selph side of the family was different in more ways than one. Way different... especially for me. But more on that later. Thankfully we all survived and the kids had tons of fun. Praise the Lord for that!!

We left from my parents house mid-morning on Monday and finally arrived in Gburg around 5:45 that evening. But not before we had to stop at a middle of nowhere gas station to change a blow out diaper... which the diaper didn't hold... which got on his car seat and clothes. Yuck. It was a crazy scene for anyone riding by. We had the suitcase opened on the ground by the car, wipes and plastic bags everywhere, and a half naked little boy sitting in the driver's seat. Oh my. Once we got his seat cleaned and new clothes on him he was happy as could be.


After we arrived and unloaded, we had delicious homemade lasagna prepared by my mother-in-law and the grands all got their Easter goodies from Nana and Pops. Garrison was SO excited. I think Austin was pretty excited too. We had a really good first night.

Tuesday morning we decided to change our plans and head to the Aquarium so we could be inside and stay warm. It was freezing. This was the first year ever we had to change our plans to make sure we were inside and avoiding 30 something degree weather. Crazy.

Everybody really enjoyed the aquarium. Austin was a sleepy head the whole time and finally did nap while we strolled him around but it was a lot of fun for the older kids. I was very impressed too!
I think Garrison's favorite part of the whole aquarium was the dinosaur exhibit. (With the sharks as a close 2nd.) It was so good. It was one of our favorite parts too. He got to search for fossils with daddy and see and hear dinosaurs up close and personal. The T-Rex was even a little loud and scary. And big. He finally decided it was safe to have his picture made with it. Then he wanted a picture with mama and the T-Rex. Then Nana. Then daddy. Then Pops. The one with daddy turned out the best. =)

Garrison also really liked the penguins. He posed with about 5 different penguin displays. My photogenic little man. Precious. This one was my favorite.
After leaving the aquarium we walked over to a nearby restaurant for a yummy lunch. And that's when we knew Pops was sick. Cause he didn't eat a thing. And that's when I knew I might be sick too. Cause it hurt real bad to swallow. Ugh. So disappointing. I thought my sore throat might possibly be allergy related but it just kept getting worse and worse with no relief in sight. Thankfully we headed home after lunch and had naps. Including me. Terrell's dad stayed secluded at their condo while we grilled hamburgers for supper and stayed in the rest of the day. The boys had lots of play time with their cousins and we enjoyed time with Kara and Denny after the kiddos went to bed.

Unfortunately that's when my fun ended. I didn't sleep much at all on Tuesday night and just felt pretty miserable. My throat was painfully sore plus I felt achy, uncomfortable, cold, etc. Then I woke up with stomach issues on Wednesday morning. They didn't last but my sore throat and achiness did. Soooo, we made the decision for me to stay home Wednesday while the rest of the fam went out to breakfast and spent the day at the Nascar Speedpark. It was the right decision. I spent the morning in bed and got up and ate soup for lunch then spent the afternoon watching reruns of shows like Full House and Everybody Loves Raymond. I even made myself a doctor's appointment for the following afternoon as soon as we'd be home. I was thankful for the rest and the quiet and the medicine that provided a little relief. But I was especially thankful that my boys were feeling great and having a wonderful time. Big, big thanks to my amazing husband and sweet in-laws for helping take care of me and the boys!
According to Terrell, Garrison loved everything about the "speedpark". Yay! And Austin had fun too, he just stayed inside the majority of the day playing on the indoor playground. He was too little for the rides anyway. I'm thinking I'll get to go there one day since it was super popular with the kiddos.

My boys came to pick me up just before supper so I could go out to eat with the rest of the family. They were happy to see me and I was happy to see them! Unfortunately I couldn't really enjoy myself at dinner because it hurt so bad to eat. This has seriously been the worst sore throat I can ever remember. And I am sooo over it. I did enjoy getting out though and being with everyone else.

When we got back to the house we celebrated Pops' birthday (a couple weeks early) with presents and cards. I thought this picture turned out pretty great! 

Unfortunately (again), things went downhill for the Selph household Wednesday night. I had an awful night with my throat. I almost couldn't swallow. At all. I slept very little. And then I woke up with what I thought was the stomach bug on Thursday morning, our departure day... and so did Terrell. Nooooooooo. We were both ready to panic. All I could see were multiple stops on the way home at sketchy gas stations and us not getting home til some reeeally late hour. But I kept praying. I think I may have been in a constant state of prayer throughout Thursday morning.

By God's grace we were able to leave on time and make it home without a single stop. I loaded up on medicine and water and Terrell was feeling great by the time we got on the road. God is so faithful. It was seriously a miracle we made it home as soon as we did without having to make one single stop. And the boys did great. They read books, held hands, talked, played with hotwheels, and slept! We were SO thankful.

I made it to the doctor and got antibiotics for an upper respiratory infection. I'm praying they're effective. Terrell went to work today (vacation days are too important to waste), so the boys and I have been laying low at home together. We did all our laundry yesterday and have been packing today. Leg 3 of our break starts tomorrow as we travel home for my mom's 60th birthday weekend.

This year's trip to Gatlinburg may have been different from years past but it was still full of fun and laughter and memories for everyone involved... at least at some point or another. =) We enjoyed getting away, we had fun catching up with Kara and Denny, and we loved seeing our boys have a ball. Thanks to Nana and Pops for making it happen! The Selph family appreciates all you did for us on our trip!!

No comments: