Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A Change in the Routine: Preparing for Summer

Summer is almost upon us. Almost. Yaaay! For our household it will be here shortly after Mother's Day. =) Which means we are officially counting down. Not because I don't enjoy my job or can't wait to be done with the school year. I'm really going to miss my little preschool students. It will be bittersweet to see them graduate from my room and move on. *Tear. But I am ready for and excited about a change in our routine. A break from making lunches every Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday night. A break from planning, crafting, and newsletter writing. I'm looking forward to staying home full time and planning for my own babies. I'm looking forward to sleeping a tad later and having lazy evenings with my hubby since the pace will slow down and I won't have so much to do. Oh, and our summer vacation to the beach. THE BEACH! (That was me smiling really big.) A trip to the beach is something we look forward to all year.

Summer isn't my very favorite season... because it gets super hot and has been to known to make me miserable and my husband has to cut grass and work in the yard a ton when we'd much rather him be doing fun stuff with us. And sometimes the days get really long with so much free time. But those are minor things for the most part. Summer definitely has it's perks, and that's what I'm really looking forward to. The perks. Oh, the perks of sweet summertime.

So now that we're nearing our almost 3 month break it's time to get some things in order and for our routine to change just a little.

The first change in our routine has occurred already and is courtesy of Austin Selph. He is finally down to 1 nap a day. I would have held on to that morning nap for longer if I could've but it was interfering with his afternoon nap so it was time for it to go. Garrison kept his for a little over 18 months and Austin kept his for a little over 19 months. Such a blessing. It was a good run but it was time.

Soooo, now I've got 2 little men on my hands for a long stretch in the mornings. Which means our morning routine (on the days we're home- Tuesdays and Thursdays) has evolved. And so far I'm thinking it's a good thing. They sleep later on those days because I don't have to wake them up for school and they are always ready for breakfast the second they get up. So now that Austin doesn't nap in the morning I've made some morning-time changes. After breakfast the boys play together (at least that's what they're supposed to do) while I clean up breakfast, empty or load the dishwasher, start a load of laundry, and hopefully go make my bed (a habit I've definitely fallen out of since working). Then, we take care of brushing teeth, changing out of pj's, getting dressed, and getting ready for our day. We've had the new routine for a few days and so far it's going great.

After our morning routine it's time for me to devote some time and attention to my little loves... or they will get into much trouble. I've discovered they can't play by themselves for too, too long or they'll fight or not share or get into things they're not supposed to. So after everyone is dressed and ready we either play together, go on a kid-friendly outing, or run an errand.

(Our "outings" this summer will probably include the library, Chick-Fil-A, Chuck E. Cheese, playing outside in the sprinkler or kiddie pool, possibly swim lessons, and probably a visit or two to the hometown too.)

This summer I plan to mix in some "table time" a couple of days a week where we do something fun and educational at the table either right before our outing/errand or right after we get back. I'll have to play it by ear and see how it goes. Garrison is great at doing things with me at the table when it's just us. Not sure what Austin will think about it. We may introduce him to play doh and a mini sensory box. And of course some days we just need some good ole on the floor play time with no educational agenda from mama.

I'm going to plan for lunch to be at home everyday (just like we already do) then let them play together while I clean up the kitchen, possibly fold clothes, etc. Then we'll have naptime, snack time, and clean up time. I'm thinking about trying to pick up, dust, vacuum, etc right before lunch or supper each day. It may not work because of time or the kids "interference" or me just getting too hot and sweaty between cleaning and cooking... But I'm really hoping to eat supper early so we can have lots of family time after supper before baths and bedtime. We want to go for walks, go out for ice cream, and just spend quality time together.

As we make the transition to summer I know there will be challenges and craziness along the way, but so far things are going smoothly. We've tested out our "new" routine 3 days (except for the table time stuff) and we're all happy with it. So I'm going to take that as a good sign for things to come. Keeping the boys busy and engaged is the key... with a good afternoon nap/rest/quiet time thrown in of course. =)

Summer is approaching and we are ready!!

No comments: