Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Back to School

Yesterday the Selph household returned to school and the routine that goes along with it. Sunday afternoon I had a teensy bit of anxiety at the thought of going back, but Sunday night (after lunches were made, clothes were ironed, and materials were gathered) I went right to sleep and slept all night with no crazy teacher dreams. Yay! I guess that stuff only happens when you teach 2nd grade. Ha.

Even though it rained all day long and we couldn't go outside for "recess" (which always makes the day seem a tad longer) it was all in all a great day back. The kids picked right up where we left off and were ready for school, friends, songs, crafts, centers, and fun. And, Austin had a great day. I was so nervous about him being miserable because of his ear infections but he took a good morning nap according to his teachers and was playing and happy the whole time. I think he's finally feeling lots better! I checked in on him a few times, which I always feel bad about because if he does happen to see me (I try so hard to be sneaky and discreet it just doesn't always work) he starts sobbing, but if he doesn't see me one of his teachers almost always does... which I'm sure makes them soooo tired of me and my lurking and checking up on mama-self, plus I know they hold their breath thinking he'll see me and they'll be left to comfort and console and suffer the consequences. Oh dear. In my defense, his room is right next door to mine so it's very difficult to walk by without peeking in. I'm sure I'd be the same way with Garrison if I had to walk right by his room 5 times a day too.

Speaking of Garrison... having your child with you before and after school and watching him interact with his friends and teachers is stressful. Things are fine during the school day when he's with his teachers in his own classroom and I'm with my students in my own classroom, but, when I feel responsible for him and his behavior before and after school, not so much. It's not that he's bad, he's just a handful. And one that I'm totally distracted by. I can't get much of anything done because I'm too worried about what he's into or up to or if he's disturbing someone else. Before and after school is when he teams up with the other staff kids and when they've been known to get a little wild. He's never been disrespectful or defiant, just a little rambunctious. I'm trying to work on some type of compromise... something that allows him to have play time with the other kids but that doesn't include him running full speed up and down the hall or being rough with his new best friend or making big messes in any of the classrooms. The problem is, the other kids (1 in particular... the new best friend) are doing those things and they aren't my kids. I'm not responsible for them... I'll leave that up to their mamas. Sooo, no good solution yet. But there has to be a better way...

Anyway, overall yesterday was a good day back to school. (Except I was totally exhausted as soon as I got home.) We're starting our Fall crafts and Halloween activities and I'm so excited about all the fun stuff we'll be doing. Before returning to teaching this was about the only thing I missed about teaching... all the fun you get to have around the holidays and experiencing it all through the eyes of children. And I'm excited that my babies get to experience it too. A pumpkin patch field trip, Halloween parade, fun and cutesy crafts, and a little party with their friends. October is one fun month!

Back to school wasn't as stressful or crazy as I thought it was going to be (probably because soccer was cancelled for last night), which was a pleasant surprise, so now we're just back on cruise control. I think. I hope. And I'm feeling especially grateful that we're finally somewhat settled in and that we have such a great month of school coming up. Yay for October and lots of Fall fun!

No comments: