Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Team Selph

Since returning to work/teaching/a real job, life around here has changed a tad. Nothing too wild and crazy, just different. We're busier in the evenings. We're busier in the mornings. We're a little more tired (or at least I am!). We're cutting out letters and prepping for preschool crafts and using more construction paper than we ever have before. (Haha) We're trying to find time for soccer, making lunches, Premier, each other. We're faced with a few more challenges and a few more adventures on a regular basis.

And you know what? All of this has brought out the best in my husband. He has stepped up more than ever before and has been SO wonderful. And I just had to brag on him. =)

If I'm being honest, I didn't really know how he would respond to me going back to work. I mean I knew he supported me going back to work because it was a decision he was highly in favor of and that we made together, but, I wasn't sure how okay he'd be with it all once he realized how life would change. Because afterall, more work for mama means more work for daddy by default. And I was a little bit worried he might not be up for it.... which would lead to even more work for mama! He might get tired of all the "stuff" that needed to be done. He might start slacking once the newness of the school year wore off. He might leave the big ole majority of the work to me while he contributed an easy, breezy little bit. Well shame on me for not giving him enough credit because he has totally surpassed my expectations. And I am SUPER thankful!

There have been times throughout our marriage when I've had occasional moments of weakness and fallen into the trap of I wish Terrell would do more of ______________________ like so and so said her husband does. Or, so and so said her husband always does ____________________. Now I feel sorry for me. Tsk, tsk. Comparisons are never good. Never. It's best to avoid them like the plague. Thankfully I learned that if I find my mind "going there" I need to immediately counter with something wonderful he does and something I appreciate so much about him. And lately that list of wonderful things to choose from keeps getting longer and longer.

My husband wakes up waaaay earlier than normal to help me prepare breakfast and wake up the kiddos and get everybody dressed and out the door on my work days. (This is HUGE. Terrell Selph is a big time night owl and likes to sleep late. He's been known to never hear his alarm and drive his wife crazy on a daily basis in the past.) He makes Garrison's lunch every night so it's one less thing I have to worry about. He helps me get ready for all my preschool crafts and lessons. I've never seen him cut out so many letters and shapes! He loads and/or empties the dishwasher in the mornings or on his lunch break. He goes to the Post Office for me all the time with my Premier invitations and jewelry I have to return. He helps with laundry and cleaning the house. He runs as many errands as he can for me and has even stayed home with baby boy and taken him to the doctor so I could go to work. He has been AH-MAZING.

*He was great before but he's just really wowed me since I started working.

It's so funny because we still have moments of stress and craziness when there's a ton to do or the house is a complete wreck or the kids are fussy and into everything and we're both ready to scream or bang our heads against the wall, BUT, we're always tackling it together. As a team. And that's what I love about us. No matter what, we face everything as a team. And since going back to work, I feel like we've become an even better, stronger team than we were before. And that makes things way easier on this back-to-work mama.

Thanks babe, for being the best teammate ever. I love you!

No comments: