Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A Day in the Life of Us

***Before I recap our entire day yesterday I forgot to share one little thing on my last post that happened over the weekend. It's pretty special so I want it recorded. =) Sunday night between supper and baths/bedtime, during a stretch when Austin was actually feeling okay, my boys had the most fun ever playing together. It was music to our ears!! Terrell and I were in the middle of making lunches for the next day when out of the blue Garrison and Austin starting chasing each other around and having the best time. They ran (or walked as fast as they could in Austin's case), squealed, laughed, giggled, and ran around some more for several minutes. They had SO much fun together. It was truly the first time they'd ever played that well together and had so much fun. And nobody was too rough or got hurt or anything! Terrell and I loved every second. It really was priceless and we were so thankful for it! I hope those sounds are a regular thing in the future. I loved it.***

Okay, moving onto yesterday. For some reason I only do one of these about every 7 months and when I looked back and realized the last time I recapped our entire day start to finish was back in March... I knew it was time. =) Here's all the events and happenings of our day yesterday~

I woke up and started the day, got ready, had my quiet time, and read a few blogs all before the boys woke up. They both slept until almost 8:00 and got to see daddy for just a little bit before he left for work. Then they were ready for breakfast.

Garrison wanted a waffle, cheese grits (with a big spoon), and muffins. Breakfast is his favorite meal and he's always ready for it the minute he wakes up.


Austin had his regular breakfast of a banana and cherrios. He loves bananas.... and shoves them in like he hasn't eaten in days. We can't give him a plate of food yet because he'll grab everything on it by the handful and put way too much in his mouth. Instead we give him a few things at a time... which leads to a very messy highchair and Ausitn begging for more, but I haven't come up with a better system yet.

After breakfast we got ready to take Garrison to school. Most weeks he goes to school at least 4 days and Tuesdays are one of them. Austin and I didn't have school so we dropped Garrison off in the car line and went straight to the dry cleaners to drop off a pile of clothes.

As soon as we got home from dropping of Garrison and the dry cleaning I put Austin down for his morning nap. While he took an almost 2 hour nap, I cleaned up the kitchen, fed and took out Bailey, and then went to work on several Premier things I needed to do.

Once Austin woke up we had some play time together before lunch. We read books, played in his room and the living room, and rode Mater around the house. 

Next, it was time for lunch! Daddy was able to come home for a few minutes and eat with us too. =) Austin had ham, cheese, pears, apples, crackers, and yogurt melts. And he wasn't happy when lunch was over. So dramatic.

After cleaning up from lunch it was time to go pick up brother from school.

As soon as we got home from school Garrison started his after school routine... changed into comfy play clothes, went to the potty (since he doesn't go at school), washed his hands, and ate a snack. And since Tuesdays and Thursdays are days he goes to school by himself he doesn't have a traditional naptime when he gets home. He has "rest time" on the couch and picks out something to watch before the 2 of us get to have some one-on-one time while Austins sleeps. So, after getting him settled on the couch I took Austin back for his nap.

Unfortunately, Austin wasn't having it yesterday. I still have no idea what was up but he refused to take a nap and sobbed the whole time. It was crazy. I literally can't remember him ever doing that during naptime at home. Finally, after troubleshooting, letting him cry, and going in and out of his room for an hour, I gave up.

Since it wasn't even 3:00 when I gave up on Austin's nap, I decided to take the boys to Hibbitt Sports in hopes of finding some stuff for Garrison's Halloween costume. Cause Halloween is quickly approaching! And we've got to get on the ball pronto! Too bad my little trip was a total bust. Ahhh. So I called Terrell to get his opinion on what to do next which led to a teensy little argument because the stress of this costume is getting to us which led to me going home and calling Wal Mart and wasting a whole bunch of time while searching the Internet while the boys made messes everywhere. Glad I got that out. The good news is, a little progress was made. The bad news is, we still have a ways to go.

Then, after that craziness, we went outside. Yay for fresh air and fun! Garrison drove his car around til the battery ran out and decided to take over pushing Austin in his car. Precious. Then, Garrison rode around his tricycle while Austin helped me go through tons of books stored under the garage from my 2nd grade teaching days and pull out lots of Halloween and pumpkin books for my preschoolers. Talk about being productive and multi-tasking.


Then we went inside so I could start on supper. But as soon as daddy got home all the boys went back out... and mama cooked in peace and quiet.

Terrell grilled pork chops and I made green beans and mashed potatoes. This is one of Garrison's favorite meat and vegetable meals so he loved it. Austin loved the pork chops and his fruit but didn't care for the green beans and potatoes. We're not giving up though.

After supper we cleaned up together.... for a little while... 


Once things got too crazy in the kitchen, Terrell finished cleaning up while I removed Austin from the dishwasher and got him ready for his bath. He loves taking a bath. He doesn't love getting out of the bath. He hasn't thrown a major tantrum yet but still lets you know he isn't happy. After refusing to take an afternoon nap, baby boy was super fussy and extremely tired. So I put him to bed at 7:00 and he went right to sleep.

In the meantime, Garrison and Terrell were back outside and didn't come in until after Austin was asleep. Garrison took a bath, got in pj's and got ready for bed... but insisted on just a little play time first. Then, he requested daddy to put him to bed for the 2nd night in a row. I didn't know what to do with myself!

Once both boys were in bed we made lunches, caught up on a couple of shows, and went to bed early. (Terrell actually went to bed earlier than me. I can count on one hand the number of times that's happened in 7 and a half years.)

I am SO thankful for days like this one. Days that are just normal. (Except for the part about Austin's missed nap.) Days that include playing with the boys, taking care of some errands, cooking for my family, being home in the evenings, and fast and easy bedtimes. Nothing exciting or eventful, but heavenly nonetheless. A blessing I'm most definitely grateful for.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Aww.. Those are sweet sounds to a mama's ears!! Hope y'all are doing well.