Monday, May 21, 2012

Trip to the Zoo

The paint project continued Saturday even though I asked Terrell multiple times if we could please hire someone to finish the job. (Which I knew was unrealistic so I rephrased and asked if we could please hire someone to help us out. I still haven't gotten an answer I'm satisfied with.) It's taking WAY longer than either of us predicted and we almost regret the decision to start this little project in the first place. Oh well. We've started it so now we have to finish. Plus we're not quitters. Plus the new paint job looks great so far. Plus it will be worth it in the end. We hope.

Terrell's dad came over and they spent the whole day painting in the hot sun. And they have the sunburn to prove it. Bless their hearts. Painting is tough work. We're going to need to plan a paint party to celebrate when we finally finish. Preferably before Halloween. Sigh.

So anyway, I decided I had to get away with the boys for a special outing that would take up the majority of the day, so I planned a trip to the zoo. I was planning to take them by myself because I don't want to ask family members to drop what they're doing or planned to do every time the paint project continues, but once my mom and sister found out about it they wanted to go too. And boy am I glad they did!

Mental note: do not attempt to take 2 kiddos, including one that can't walk yet, to the zoo by yourself on a beautiful Spring Saturday morning. You will lose your mind. And possibly one of your kiddos.

We arrived at zoo around 10:30 and had the best time. Garrison loved seeing all the animals and was impressed and fascinated by the whole experience I think. He doesn't remember his first ever trip to the zoo, so this one was a special treat. And Austin was a trooper. He hung in there with us and went right along with whatever we did. He never had a meltdown and he even fell asleep for a little while after lunch. The boys were both very well behaved.


One of Garrison's favorite things at the zoo was feeding the birds. Even Austin enjoyed it!
Mama, Austin, and Willie B (Garrison declined having his picture made with big statue... I think he was afraid it might be real)

Garrison and AnAn enjoyed storytime...

And by lunch time my oldest was just about give out! He had even started requested to ride in the stroller. So him and Austin took turns getting rides... and we took turns carrying around Austin and occasionally Garrison too. How would I have survived by myself??

Garrison's other favorite part of the trip was the petting zoo. He loved touching the sheep and goats.


While Austin was napping away, Garrison had a ball riding the zoo carousel. This was his other favorite part. Granna insisted he have an armband for unlimited rides. At first I thought it was completely unnecessary, but later realized I was super thankful I wouldn't have to disappoint him by telling him he couldn't ride the carousel or train! Granna is awesome.

One of the last things we did was ride the train. Granna and AnAn stayed back with Austin while Garrison and I took a little train trip. He loved it because he loves trains and tunnels and seeing more animals. I loved it because he loved it and it was just the 2 of us.

Like I said, we had the best time. And both of the boys came home with a stuffed animal courtesy of Granna and Papa. Garrison picked out a panda bear for himself and a baby lion for Austin (but it's actually a baby tiger I think).

Garrison loved everything about the zoo and thankfully I had help pushing the stroller through the crowds, changing diapers, keeping up with Garrison, taking a bathroom break, eating lunch and making sure both boys were fed, and unloading and reloading the car. If I ever attempt to take them by myself it will need to be for a couple of hours on a weekday morning... during the school year. In other words we'll practically need the zoo to ourselves. Haha.

I also really enjoyed our trip because Garrison wasn't disrespectful and ugly to me even though Granna and AnAn were with us. It was such a blessing! Anytime he acted out (which was rare) he would have anyway whether Granna and AnAn were with us or not. I think it really helped that we all took turns with him. Sometimes I held his hand and showed him the animals, sometimes Granna and AnAn did. Sometimes I held him, sometimes they did. Sometimes I watched him on the playground, sometimes they did. Everything was really balanced out. And we didn't even plan it that way it just worked out that way... and was so nice! I came home and told Terrell all about it. Maybe we have some sort of solution or plan now. Only time will tell.

I'm so thankful for our fun trip to the zoo and especially thankful to Granna and AnAn for coming along with us and spoiling my babies!!

No comments: