Friday, May 18, 2012

Busy Baby Boy

My littlest man is keeping me on my toes. Literally. I rarely sit down while he's awake! If nothing else, I've got to be burning calories in my quest to keep him out of Bailey's bowls and away from unsteady objects he shouldn't be pulling up on (like the laundry basket), and away from Garrison's toys that aren't safe (either because he could put them in his mouth or because big brother will have a panick attack if he witnesses Austin grabbing one of his most prized possessions), and out of the laundry room trash can and dust pan that are right on his level.... just to name a few of my calorie burning adventures.

Baby boy is busy. He started pulling up regularly as soon as he turned 8 months old. And life hasn't been the same since! In some ways keeping up with him as been a little easier than when Garrison was crawling like a mad man and pulling up on everything in sight. With Garrison my total focus was on him and I felt like I could hardly keep up with everything he was getting into. If I was doing laundry and he took off down the hall, I'd follow him or at least reach a stopping point really fast. If I was in the kitchen trying to cook and he left the room, I'd always immediately stop what I was doing to chase him down or trap him. I was so focused and consumed with chasing him down and watching his every move I couldn't get anything done.

With Austin on the otherhand, I'm way more laid back. If he crawls out of the room I'm okay with watching him from a distnace, listening for him, checking on him, moving him back to the room I'm in if I need to, or just letting him be if he's not in or near danger.

I've also got 2 sets of eyes on him. Mine and Garrison's. Because 9 times out of 10 little brother is following and trying to keep up with big brother.

I'm also better at trapping Austin. Typically the only time I actually trap him is while I'm in the kitchen. I either put him in his bumbo with some fun toys or his sippy cup (or big brother playing beside him) or he jumps in his jumperoo thing in the living room for a few minutes.

This time around I know I don't have to be right up under him every single second. It's nice to be a little more relaxed. However, that doesn't mean I'm any less busy. Austin is a master of getting into things and he's a fast scooter and crawler so I've got to be quick!

You've seen a picture similar to this before... well now he can make it all the way across where he takes a little nose-dive on the other side with his legs and feet flying up behind him. Goodness.

He also loves pulling out the DVD player and chewing on the framed picture of himself that's normally on top of it. (Please don't judge my lack of dusting behind the DVD player...)

Because he's pulling on any and everything we're constantly clearing off tables and on the look-out for him to have something he shouldn't

Then there's the issue of the dishwasher. He loves the dishwasher. When he hears me open it up and rattle a few dishes he comes in the kitchen real fast like. He automatically stands up and goes for his little spoons. If he can't reach his spoons he'll always settle for pulling the bottom rack back and forth or grabbing big silverware and plates. Who knew the dishwasher could be so entertaining?

And of course whatever big brother is doing or playing with is SO appealing. He just has to check it out... unless he's already busy and into something else.

Bailey's basket of toys are a new discovery. We keep the basket under an end table, which is right on his level, so he pulls it out and empties the toys whenever he feels like it.

And his favorite thing to do in his room (and my favorite thing for him to do too because it occupies him and is completely harmless) is to empty the basket of books beside his glider. He just realized he could do it and has been quite pleased with just how fun it is. =)

Happy Weekend everybody!!

No comments: