Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Summertime Blues?

Yesterday was loooong. Our first real, true day of summer and everything about it tested my patience and made me tired. I fell asleep at 8:30 last night. 8:30! Then I woke up around 9ish, did my getting ready for bed routine, read a little, and then went back to sleep around 9:40. I think it's safe to say, Mama was TIRED.

It rained off and on most of the day yesterday so I determined we'd stay in and just hang out at home. Garrison watched an episode of Mickey Mouse while I put Austin down for his morning nap and then I did a few things around the house before the little man was ready for my full attention. Which was fine except that we had TONS of time on our hands. Like the whole day since I'd planned for us to stay in. And for some reason that's way more intimidating when you don't really have much of anything planned and it's raining so you can't go outside and baby brother is into everything and mama is already tired from our busy long weekend.

I ended up making Garrison a tent/fort under the dining room table. He loved it. He brought his pillow and animals and books and camped out.... for about 5 seconds before he wanted a playmate. And I didn't fit so well. Ha. But I read him his books in the "tent" and we had some play time together before Austin woke up and joined in on the fun.



They are going to love doing this when they're older. I'm so excited about them playing together and entertaining each other in the future. Sibling play time is the best! I'm sure they will get along perfectly and share all their toys and play together quietly for hours on end. =)

After our adventures in the tent we had more time on our hands before lunch. And when it comes to my boys, time on our hands equals trouble. It's hard for us to be lazy and relaxed around here. Correction: It's hard for Garrison and Austin to be lazy and relaxed. We like to go and do and have plans, even if we are at home (as long as it's not naptime). So I lost my patience and got frustrated and pulled my hair out, etc. Because I didn't have enough "planned" to keep us occupied. My fault all the way. Ahhhh.

When Terrell came home for lunch I admitted that this summer might be tough. It's busier with 2 little guys of course, but we're also a little limited in what we can do. I can't take them to the pool by myself for safety purposes. Garrison and I still have the whole morning at home together because we save our outings for after Austin's morning nap... which I plan to hang onto as long as possible. And it's just not realistic to go to certain places by myself with a preschooler and baby.

By the time naptime rolled around yesterday, I was determined to get out of the house and waste some time doing something once they woke up. So I decided we should go to Wal-Mart to pick up a wedding shower gift. Even though it started pouring down raining about that time. I sent Terrell a text that said We will be going to my least favorite place this afternoon rain or shine! (I reeeally don't care for Wal-Mart.) So we went and picked up a gift, came home, then let daddy take over with the boys while I cooked supper. I was spent. The first day of summer and I was spent. Oh. Dear.

Soooo, this summer might be more of a challenge than I realized. Which I feel totally guilty about. It almost made me really get down on myself. Shouldn't I be soaking up all this unlimited time with my babies before I'm away from them more than I've ever been before starting in August? Shouldn't we be having a low-key relaxing summer like everyone else is talking about and doing? Shouldn't this be a "break" for all of us?

I'm thinking this summer will be far from relaxing and anything resembling a break. BUT, it will be an opportunity of unlimited time with my boys before we all start back to school in August. I have to enjoy every minute. Or try to enjoy most of them at least.

Today was better. I was prepared... Garrison and I cleaned my bathroom while Austin napped and Garrison did great with some independent play time (it's so crazy how some days he's right up under me and other days he's Mr. Independent) then we all went to Chick-Fil-A and the rest of the afternoon was easy breezy until they both woke up and the adventure started over. But with less drama than yesterday. Whew.

I know things will get better and easier and more fun if I stay prepared... which will probably require some creativity. But I want this to be a fun summer full of great memories, not one of survival mode and crankiness and an impatient, worn out mama. So I better get a start on planning. Because no more summertime blues allowed!!

 

1 comment:

Megan said...

Oh I so hear you on this!! I'm going to be staying at home starting in July with both kids. It's going to be a big transition of all of us! Hang in there - it's gotta get easier, right?