Thursday, June 4, 2015

10 Years

10 years ago today we got married! What a journey we've shared. Full of blessings, full of memories, full of challenges, full of fun. 

Terrell and I practically grew up together. (Here's a detailed look at the beginning of Our Story.) Our families have known each other since before I was born. We grew up in the same hometown. We attended the same church growing up and eventually the same youth group together. (Our church today. =)) We became best friends as teenagers and eventually started dating at the ripe old ages of 16 and 18, and knew then that we would get married one day. We shared in each other's high school years and college years and were married on June 4, 2005, a semester and a half before I graduated from UGA. So I'd say we definitely, without a doubt grew up together. =)

As soon as we returned from our honeymoon to Hawaii, we jumped right into grown up life and moved away to where Terrell would be working and I would commute to Athens to finish my degree. That 1st year was a tough one. Everything was new and different and a huge adjustment. It was a challenge for sure. But I'm so thankful I was able to experience it with my wonderful husband and best friend, and that every year since that 1st one has been better and better!

We've learned SO much these past 10 years. We've learned to compromise like never before. Still a work in progress, by the way. We've learned to lower our expectations. Nobody here is a mind-reader or a perfect spouse. And it's crazy and unfair to expect such. We've learned to trust God with the uncertainties and challenges of life. Which are numerous. We've learned to be parents. Of 3 boys! We've learned to tag team like pros. We've learned to make time for each other despite the busyness of family life with 3 kiddos, work, school, and extracurricular activities. 

 And we are still learning! Still figuring out how to love, serve, appreciate, forgive, communicate, accept, and compromise better.  


The day we got married we had no idea what God had in store for us. No idea that 10 years later we'd finally be back in our hometown after 3 moves, 2 cities, 3 jobs, and 3 boys. We only knew that we'd face all of it together. As Team Selph. =) And even then Team Selph was a yet to be discovered thing. 


That's the best thing about marriage. Experiencing the journey together. Facing the challenges, obstacles, and trials together. Sharing the good, happy, fun times with each other. Taking on the world together. Knowing you're stronger and better together, as a team. 


Marriage is hard work. And ours is no exception. We aren't perfect, we definitely have our weaknesses, and we most certainly continue to face challenges. But God continues to work on us and we continue to learn and grow, and hopefully get better and better. We still have a ways to go but I know we can both appreciate the way our marriage has matured over the past 10 years.

Sharing life with Terrell Selph is my favorite. Even though he can drive me crazy like nobody else, he is perfect for me. He balances me out and lightens me up. He makes me laugh constantly and keeps life fun. He's my right hand with the boys, with our home, with our multitude of responsibilities. He's an amazing provider and financial expert, which has meant more to me and our family life than he'll probably ever know.  He loves me so well, so unconditionally. Life with him is a fun adventure and I'm so thankful God brought us together for always all those years ago. The commitment and covenant we share is a priceless gift from The Lord.

From excited, nervous, overjoyed, naive newlyweds...

To a decade later full of wonderful memories, some tough challenges, and mama and daddy to 3 precious little boys. 
God is good. 

Not to us, LORD, not to us but to your name be the glory, because of your love and faithfulness. Psalm 115:1

The blessing of these 10 years can't adequately be described. Praying for many, many, many more! Happy Anniversary to the love of my life and the one God made for me!!

No comments: