Friday, July 19, 2013

A Peek into our Week

This week has been sort of long and tough. We haven't had anything at all going on, so everyday I've been winging it and coming up with something to get us out of the house for just a little bit. It's worked okay for the most part but we've had our moments of going crazy inside too. And mama is tired. Real tired.

At one point on Wednesday afternoon after starting on supper the boys were running wild. (About 5:00 or so everyday we hit our witching hour. They're not bad during this time they're just wound up and crazy... and I'm spent so I have no patience or energy left. Not a good combination.) So anyway, I was cooking and the boys were running around totally wild. I kept having to ask them not to run around in the kitchen and to stop doing this or that and to slow down... and Austin was definitely in his own little world and hearing none of it. So I started feeling emotional and overwhelmed and ready to cry. My big boy stopped and was watching me and said, Don't cry mama. So sweet. But then I still did start to cry a little and he burst into song, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star....It was so funny I cracked up and starting laughing through my tears. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star has always been Garrison's go-to song to sing to Austin when he's crying. It was so funny that he starting singing that to me so I wouldn't cry. We both laughed and laughed.

Thankfully the boys really do love to play together and they have entertained each other lots this summer. That's been a HUGE blessing. I don't want to come across as ungrateful because we are having a great summer. It's been waaay easier than last summer. This week in particular has just been a little challenging and exhausting. But since I haven't posted a single picture since my last vacation post, I decided to share the ones I have to give a little peek into our week. There aren't many... because this week hasn't been very exciting, just wild and exhausting... but it's better than none at all.

A few days ago Garrison requested to play in the fire truck tent. I love this tent because we can fold it up and store it away in a closet when we aren't using it. The boys really love it too. They usually end up playing rough and wrestling inside of it until it tips over. Then they either laugh a lot or somebody starts crying.

We went to story time at our library this week to hear a special guest paleontologist. I'm not sure if he was a real one or just a story teller... but it was really good. Except he was British and very animated and scared my baby boy. So we went to watch from the doorway to put a little distance between us and the strange man, and Garrison followed because he wasn't about to be left in there alone. Sooo, we watched from the doorway for a little while and then eventually Garrison went back in (once he knew it was safe) and I stayed out with Austin. He was a great story teller and his whole presentation was really entertaining.


Wednesday when Terrell got home from work he took the boys outside so I could enjoy a little R and R while supper finished cooking. It was heavenly. They went for a walk together. So sweet!

Wednesday night we had a bad storm come through right at the boys' bedtime. Perfect timing (said very sarcastically). Both boys had a hard time falling asleep thanks to the extremely loud and scary thunder. After they went to sleep they slept through the remainder of the storm and slept really late yesterday morning. Austin woke up about 8:05 and Garrison woke up about 8:35. They were tired! And gave each other lots of good morning love while I made breakfast. =) 
Last night ended up being an even tougher night at bedtime than the night it stormed. Austin is not handling bedtime well. At all. It is starting to really wear on me. It's emotionally exhausting. Last night we tried letting him cry it out (which is the hardest thing ever to do) but he just never calmed down and there was never a sign of him stopping. If anything, he got more mad and the crying stayed the same or escalated. It broke my heart. I eventually went back into his room a few times and shed a few tears myself. It was so emotionally draining. I know that sounds dramatic but when you're suffering through it you just feel helpless and like your child is going to be scarred forever. Boo.

Finally he went to sleep... and so did I. I got in the bed and read for an hour and then fell asleep early. I was exhausted and emotional and thankful to finally relax and be able to go to bed early.

Even though this week has been a doozie we've had some fun times too and are SO looking forward to the weekend. We're planning a visit to the pool today and I'm going to a jewelry party tonight... that I'm not doing myself. Yay for a fun girls night! And a break from the bedtime drama. Pray for Terrell as he faces it solo. Then tomorrow we're heading home to celebrate my sister's birthday with family and good food. Happy weekend! We're almost there!!

No comments: