Monday, March 25, 2013

Preparing for Spring Break

But first, a little weekend recap....We had ourselves a really fun weekend. We stayed home most of the day on Saturday due to rain and super messy weather, but Terrell did take the boys to the grocery store solo so I could get some work done in the peace and quiet....and we got out for an afternoon trip to Target and dinner out at one of our favorite restaurants. It was the perfect mix of home and outing.

On yesterday we went to our hometown church for the Palm Sunday service. SO good. I loved it. And my big boy decided to go to big church too because there was lots of singing and he wanted to see his Sunday School teacher, my dad, and Terrell's mom in the choir. He did really good considering the service was a tad longer than normal and included the Lord's Supper. We were really proud of him.

After lunch my parents took Austin home and got him down for a nap while Terrell, Garrison, and I went over to his parents' house to visit for a while. We made it home just in time for supper and the "school night" routine to begin.

And so begins the week before Spring Break and craziness all around.

This is the first Spring Break I can recall that will be non-stop busy start to finish. I get tired just thinking about it. We have a lot packed in. We will be away from our home for approximately 7.5 days of the 9 total days of the break. This is brand new to me. Growing up we didn't travel or vacation on breaks unless it was summer break. Since getting married, Terrell and I have never really planned much for breaks (unless it was in the summertime). And for the past few years breaks from school have meant something waaaaay different to me because I was a 100% stay at home mom. Now that I'm back to teaching, they are a really big deal... because I have to go back to work the following Monday like a normal person. Haha. 

So this week we have what feels like tons and tons to do to not only make sure we're ready to be away, but to make sure we're ready to get back. The week we go back is "my week" at school. (My turn to be "lead teacher") So I have been working lots on getting all of my school stuff taken care of so I have absolutely nothing hanging over me while I'm away. I've been cutting, tracing, working on our April newsletter, and cutting some more. I think I'm almost there. Plus we have a really big, really important fundraiser/auction for our school coming up shortly after we get back. It's especially important to teachers like me who are also parents of students at the school. This fundraiser is a big part of the reason "staff kids" are able to go for free. Which is one of the reasons we chose this preschool. So it's a big deal. In other words, things have been a tad stressful when it comes to school.

(Although a tad stressful with preschool stuff doesn't even touch or come close to touching a tad stressful with "big school" stuff. Please read this loud and clear: I am grateful. Me getting a little overwhelmed does not equal me being ungrateful.)

We've also got the house and laundry to take care of. (We must do some cleaning this week so we don't come home to a big ole mess.) Last minute shopping for items to insure our refrigerator and pantry won't be bare upon our return. Stuffing of eggs for upcoming Easter parties and egg hunts. And packing... for Easter weekend, 3 nights in Gatlinburg, and my mom's 60th birthday weekend. Lots of packing for lots of fun.

We will be busy. I will possibly lose my mind getting ready for everything. I may even get dramatic a time or two. (Okay, that's highly likely) But we're also excited and looking forward to all the fun to come. And in the midst of all the busyness this week we especially don't want to forget about Easter. We want to celebrate our Risen King. We want our boys to know what Easter is all about. That Jesus lives! We want to have fun with Terrell's family in Gatlinburg. We want to enjoy extra time with his sister and her family. We want to celebrate my mom's birthday and have a great time partying with her and the rest of the fam.

Yes, things will be crazy leading up to the break... and yes things will probably remain crazy throughout the break, BUT, I don't want to miss out on the fun because of being consumed with school (which is what I'm ultimately on a break from!) or because I'm worked up and stressed out with what will be waiting on us at the end of the week. I want to embrace our crazy break and enjoy it. I'm praying I can relax and have fun instead of obsessing over little stuff and wondering how in the world we're all going to be ready for the following Monday morning. I know I'll regret it if I don't let myself just be and enjoy our Spring Break. Because the fact is, we'll be fine. We'll enjoy Easter with family. We'll celebrate Jesus and his resurrection. We'll make memories in the mountains. We'll enjoy birthday celebrations. It might be busy and crazy but it'll be worth it.

Now to get everything taken care of before the end of this week...

1 comment:

Carrie said...

This is my first time visiting your blog. I found it through "The Big Mama" blog. I hope you guys have a great spring break! Funny how the getting ready for a trip is always so insanely busy!!

I'm a teacher (4th grade for 10 years) currently on a leave of absence to be home with my 2 kids. I connected with that when reading your profile. I look forward to reading more of your posts!