Thursday, November 29, 2012

Little Updates...

*It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas at our house... finally! Yay. =) The tree is up and still standing. The wreath is on the front door. The Nativity Scene is out... although it's been rearranged multiple times by my firstborn. And the boys' trees are up in their rooms. The only thing that still feels incomplete is the mantle. But I think I say that every year. We had a crazy start to the Christmas season but I think it's finally underway at our house.

*The Selph household has had a rough time of it since Thanksgiving. We've all been sick with something or under the weather at the least and now we have yet another doctor's appointment today. Plus we've all been sleeping less. (That's the one that's got me in a fog and just not myself.) Austin has been waking up at least once a night since we got home. Sometimes he's coughing, sometimes he's crying and we have to go in and give him his paci, and sometimes he just wants be to held for a minute. He has pretty much always been a GREAT sleeper, so these new sleeping habits are stressing me out. Added to that, I can't seem to fall into a deep, dreamless sleep lately. And it is taking it's toll. Big time. I keep telling myself, you've done this before. You have 2 babies. You can do sleep-deprived. But this time it's just making me anxious. I can't enjoy my family because I'm anxious or tired or stressed or just not myself. And I'm sooo ready to snap out of it!

I hate to come across like I'm complaining and ungrateful. I've already given myself a guilt trip about being blah about little bitty stuff. I know people are facing WAY worse than me and I know I have TONS to be grateful for. But I want to be real and honest and true to myself on the blog. This is our family journal and I don't want to "pretend". The fact is this week hasn't been fun. It's been rough. I've been blah and down and tired. Everyone's just been "off". My attitude hasn't been the best. But, I am ready to snap out of it and I am working on my attitude. Promise.

*Enough about my issues... moving onto the issue of Christmas. After Thanksgiving was such a doozie for everybody we've been seriously considering/contemplating/weighing pros and cons of what exactly is best for our family when it comes to Christmas. And we are SO torn. We have traditions in place we want to maintain... for us and our parents but also for our kids. However, spending the night away for 3 nights at 2 houses (which is exactly what we did for Thanksgiving) just doesn't seem to be the best idea. It has taken us almost an entire week to get back to normal after Thanksgiving. Who am I kidding? We still aren't back to normal. Sleeping habits are crazy. My big boy has had some behavior issues that seem to occur only after a trip to B'ville. We're definitely not back into the swing of things with school yet. And mama is just barely hanging on.

Soooo, it's a tough dilemma. Tough. We know we'll be in the hometown the 23rd, 24th, and 25th but how much driving back and forth for the sake of sleeping in our own beds and holding onto our sanity do we do? At what point is it crazy to try to come back home? At what point is it crazy to try to spend the night? I just have no idea. I want to do what's best for our family as a whole. Whatever will be the easiest, most fun, least stressful, most normal- that's what I want. Does it even exist? It's probably unlikely...

*I really didn't mean for this to turn into a complaining session so I'm going to move onto something positive... Last year for Christmas I got a magnetic Advent calendar. I love it! Each day you add a magnetic piece to the Nativity scene (plus I'm adding a Scripture from the Christmas story to read each day). I am so excited to get started! I know Garrison will love it and it will be such a good way for us to remember the real meaning of Christmas on a daily basis this season. I'm excited about doing it for years to come too. =)

*Something else new I want to do this year is to pray over the families of the Christmas cards we receive. I heard about this last year and want to try it out this year. In the past we've had some days we get mulitple cards in the mail and some days we don't get any so I'm not sure of the system just yet. I'm thinking we'll pray over one card before supper every night and then I'll add them to the Christmas card display afterwards. Then I'd like to let them know we prayed for them. Hmmm, I still have some finalizing to do with this one but I'm excited about it.

*Those are my updates for now. Time to get ready for the doctor...

No comments: