Thursday, November 8, 2012

On My Mind

*I'm going to go ahead and get it over with. If I don't I'll feel like it's the big elephant in the room/on the blog post. Haha. The Presidential Election did not go as I had hoped or prayed it would. I was disappointed. Big time. The majority of my family, friends, and red state were. It was/is a tough pill to swallow. It's even kind of scary. However, I refuse to be depressed or devastated or worried sick over this outcome the way so many are. It stinks and I don't like it, BUT, God is still Sovereign and still in control. And no election results changes that. I will continue to vote my beliefs and convictions. I will continue to (hopefully) do my best to love and serve and live as Christ has called me to. AND, I will continue to pray for our country and for our President. We should always stand up and speak out for what we believe in, but we're called to do so in love, not hate. And that's all I'm gonna say about that. Unless you want to read these really good blog posts on the topic: When you don't get your way and Simply the same? Okay, now I'm done. Onto more pleasant things...

*We had our annual Fall family pictures done on Sunday afternoon. And this year, having a 14 month old in the mix, well let's just say it was an adventure. We got the pictures back yesterday and are in LOVE with several of them. Danielle really captured some precious ones of the boys, some sweet ones of the whole fam, and some really funny ones of all of us at one point or another. I'm dying to share them but don't won't to ruin the Christmas card surprise.

The thing about this year's family pictures is that just about every single one includes somebody (aka: one of the kiddos) who isn't looking, smiling, or smiling a real and normal smile. Sigh. It's just the season we're in. While Garrison is very photogenic right now, after about the 3rd picture, he has a strong tendency to give a big ole fake smile OR a teeth touching teeth smile. Oh my. And Austin isn't old enough to really get it and therefore isn't interested. Baby boy is just too busy to stop and pose and smile on cue. But I love our memories captured in time. I would love if I had photography skills. *Deep sigh.

*Speaking of my boys, they are getting along and playing together more and more. Yay!! I can't tell you how happy and full my heart is when they laugh and play and share. We still have moments (that occur on a somewhat regular basis) when they bicker and fuss and both have a death grip on the same toy, but them playing together and getting along and sharing has started to outweigh everything else. Thank you Lord! They've even started taking baths together. One night last week I put Austin in the bath while Garrison was still playing with daddy and out of blue Garrison said he wanted to get in the tub with Austin and play. And every single night since they've had a bath together. They have had the best time. They laugh and squeal and play together so well. It's been fun watching their friendship grow and I am SO thankful for this answered prayer.

*I'm liking the shorter days so far. It just fits with the season. The weather is cooler, the holidays are approaching, and it's so nice to curl up with a blanket a little earlier than normal because it  feels a little later. It's usually dark or almost dark when we're eating supper and the house just feels more cozy. We're all together inside in the evenings, and while I'm sure we'll get tired of it eventually, for now we're enjoying it. And the sun shining in the mornings helps me get going and started with my day a little easier.

*I've been reading through the Old Testament off and on for a while now, but lately I've gotten into a groove and routine of reading a couple of chapters before bed every night. Normally I read a fictional book before bed but I haven't had a book to read in about a month so I've been reading my Bible. The Old Testament is so good. I started with Genesis a long time ago and have just gone in order. I just finished Ruth and now I'm into 1st Samuel. I love that they aren't just fascinating stories, they're true stories that actually happened years and year ago. I'm also still loving my Jesus Calling devotional every morning. Soo good. It would make a great Christmas gift for just about anybody on your list this year.

*Speaking of Christmas gifts, I've got to hurry up and get the boys' lists finalized for the grandparents. Speaking of the boys, I hear them. It appears naptime is over. Preparing myself for the 2nd half of the day solo since daddy has to work late. Chick-Fil-A supper and play time is in my future. =)

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Ohh yes- I remember fondly now- not at the time, our family photo shoot, when M was 12 mos. and E was almost 3... Not the best ones we've had taken, but definitely showed a good snapshot of our season then!! That's what Brandi Hodges said that day "we'd be glad and would remember this season because of those pics" and she was right!! So glad the boys are playing together more and more- they are such sweet sounds!!

Meggie said...

It was crazy! But I really did love a lot of them because they were true to real life right now. And we were all dressed up and cutesy in spite of the chaos. =) Hope ya'll are doing well!!