Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Just the Two of Us

Yesterday Terrell had the day off so we had the rare opportunity to get away for the whole afternoon and part of the evening. By ourselves. Just the two of us. Neither one of us could remember the last time we'd had a date. Sad but true. It's just tough getting away. Even more so since I started working. Plus we're just busy and don't have a lot of opportunities to even think about getting a baby-sitter. So yesterday was a special treat. (Thanks Nana!)

We went out to lunch... just to Taco Bell but special nonetheless! Taco Bell was a regular stop for us waaaay back in the day when Terrell would take me to my orthodontist appointments or I would go with him to his. Ha! So we reminisced over burritos and tacos. And carried on a totally uninterrupted conversation. It's the little things.

Then we went Christmas shopping. Can I just say it's sooo much easier and way more fun going Christmas shopping on a random Tuesday afternoon before Thanksgiving than any other time? Cause it was. No crowds. No lines. No crazies. Perfect. Although a teensy, tiny part of me did miss the hustle and bustle that just screams Christmastime is here! But just a teensy part. I know I'll get to experience all that soon enough. Because while lots of progress was made, we still aren't finished.

I know lots of men don't enjoy shopping, but my husband is a great shopping partner! He has a system and he's on a mission... while also being patient with me and my tendancy to be indecisive. And it's just fun to shop and buy presents for family and the kiddos when it's just the two of us. It's so easy. We talked. We laughed. We searched. We spent a loooong time in Toys R Us. And most importantly, we got a lot accomplished which was the goal from the beginning.

After our full and sort of exhausting afternoon of shopping (that stretch in Toys R Us took it out of me) we finally used an Olive Garden gift card we've had for forever. Yay! We love Olive Garden and it's perfect for a date night. Especially when it's free! While we enjoyed our delicious Italian dinner we almost couldn't think of anything to talk about. We'd had so much alone time and opportunities to talk throughout the afternoon we ran out of things to say. Which I'm thinking means we're approaching old married couple status. But that's okay. I think being comfortable not talking (at least occassionally) is a good thing.

I only became antsy once (or twice at the most) about getting back home to see the boys before bedtime. Being away from them the majority of the day plus knowing today was a school day I was anxious to have some time with them. My hubby was very understanding. And they topped off my night when they smiled so big and were SO happy to see me when we got home. Time away-just the two of us- was wonderful. But so was coming home. =)

No comments: