Monday, November 26, 2012

Our Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving 2012 was a whirlwind and a doozie. It was wild and crazy and challenging. And don't forget exhausting. BUT, despite all the craziness and the fact that things didn't go as planned and my babies didn't sleep well or behave well, we had fun and enjoyed our holiday with family. We were together and we were grateful. And in the end, that's all that matters anyway. Thanksgiving Day itself was a success. We ate wonderful food, visited with lots of family, and enjoyed the day with people we love. 

Everything else about the holiday on the other hand wasn't so wonderful. Boo...

The boys, Bailey, and I arrived in town on Wednesday afternoon like always and Terrell got there right after work. We got everything set up at the grandparents' houses since we'd be spending the night both places before heading to town for supper and the annual Illumination Service. The "Lighting of the Trees" is a tradition I always enjoy and look forward to... and while it was still enjoyable, this year, we were left wondering if it was worth it in the end. We kept Austin up waaaay past his bedtime so he lost interest pretty fast. Baby boy wasn't impressed at all. He never had a meltdown but he was tired and ready to go from the start. Garrison did great and seemed to have fun except the most exciting part for him would be seeing all the lights... but we couldn't really see them because of where we were. Ahhhh. Then, Santa came riding in and my big boy just isn't a fan of the man in red. He likes him from a distance but that's about it. Soooo, both boys went to bed way late and both boys had rough nights. Which means mama did not sleep. (And hasn't since. Errr.) But moving onto the positive...

We woke up Thanksgiving morning at Terrell's parents' house and enjoyed a big, delicious breakfast. Talk about being spoiled getting to enjoy a yummy breakfast on Thanksgiving Day! Garrison got to help in the kitchen and the boys both enjoyed lots of play time. And, we were able to get our family Thanksgiving Day picture... plus one with Nana and Pops. A family Thanksgiving Day picture is a must-have for this mama. I love looking back at those every year. Unfortunately after breakfast Austin refused to take a morning nap even though he didn't sleep well the night before, and my firstborn started with cold-like symptons. Ugh.
We arrived at my parents house for lunch and enjoyed another huge, delicious feast. The cooks in my family are ah-mazing. It was soooo good. And we got to eat again for supper! My boys got lots of attention, lots of play time, and even both took naps on Thursday. I think they were worn out from everything. Plus not feeling their best

Terrell had to work half a day on Friday so he headed home late Thanksgiving night while me and the boys stayed with my parents. Cue another rough night. My littlest man had a hard time sleeping away from home. He was also just fussy in general and not feeling his best. Garrison slept better Thursday night but just wasn't a very good listener. And he wasn't very nice to Austin. It was sooo discouraging. We feel like nobody really gets to see him being a kind, helpful, sharing big brother like he is at home 90% of the time. I could have cried I was so frustrated.  

Friday afternoon we all went out to pick out our Christmas tree together. Garrison was SO into it this year. He helped daddy and Papa with everything and loved decorating my parents tree. He has totally embraced the Christmas spirit. It's been fun already seeing his excitement and awe at everything Christmas. It should be a fun season.

Unfortunately things went downhill fast on Saturday once we got home. Everyone was sleep deprived and a disaster with the tree occurred. A big one. One that left me crying over several broken ornaments and devastated at a huge mess. Things went from bad to worse with no end in sight... and our house and tree still aren't decorated for Christmas like I'm used to every year. Honestly it's been a little depressing and hard to snap out of. It's been a rough few days to say the least. I've definitely had to learn a lesson in being thankful in all circumstances. Cause this pity party could go on and on. But things are just things. It's sad to lose them but the most important part of Christmas is my family and the meaning of Christmas. The other stuff is just an extra bonus. Even though I've been discouraged and sad, I've also been reminded to constantly give thanks for my healthy babies, my wonderful husband, and the gift of Christmas, Jesus Christ. Those are who matter most. And above all else, we are blessed.

Thanksgiving 2012 was a doozie, but it was ours. Our memories and our craziness. One day we'll remember it with a smile. I hope. =)

**************************************

I had to go super light on pictures from our holiday because my "picasa web album" is full. I'm trying to figure out how to create more space to get through the year before I move on to a permanent solution. Soooo, the pictures might be light for awhile. We'll see...

No comments: