Monday, December 3, 2012

Back on Track... Almost

This weekend was just what we needed to get back on track. And we were sooo grateful. After Garrison tested positive for strep throat on Thursday and I had to miss another day of work, we were about ready to lose it around here. We just can't seem to get well and stay well! On the bright side he started feeling better fast and we were able to go out to eat Friday night to one of our favorite restaurants. I think we all enjoyed getting out of the house and being waited on. And, Austin started sleeping through the night again... which means I did too! Praise Jesus! Sleep just seems to make everything more bearable.

Saturday morning we woke up and went to our first ever Covington Christmas parade. We've been here right at 6 years and had never been. The boys enjoyed it and racked up on TONS of candy- like more than they got for Halloween. It was crazy. The only downside was that it was SO LOOOOONG. It seriously never ended. We finally had to leave because the boys were tired, it was starting to get hot (I'm ready for some real December temps!), and we were getting hungry. Garrison was more impressed with firetrucks and police cars and motorcycles than any of the floats. But then again there were so. many. floats. you sort of lost interest anyway. I think the Buggy Days parade is more impressive in his eyes. Ha!
This weekend we also started our advent calendar. It's been a huge hit! Garrison loves it. Guess there's just something super exciting about opening up that little drawer and adding a piece to the Nativity. It's the first thing he wants to do every morning... notice the bed head. =) But he's also decided to wait until every member of the family is present before he opens it. He's been so sweet and considerate and I love that he loves it. It will be a great way to keep our focus on the real meaning of Christmas this season.
Terrell and I also got to go on a shopping date this weekend. My parents came over yesterday so we could finish up 99% of our shopping. We had a fun day together. It's nice to have time just to hang out and be together. It was refreshing. And the boys had fun with Granna and Papa and got a special surprise... a train to go around our Christmas tree! They are in love. It was a special treat and we're going to really enjoy it....especially my boys.

So this weekend felt like just what we needed. We got some rest. We got out of the house. We had some family time. We had some couple time. It was a much needed time of refreshment.

Until this morning.

My big boy woke up with a fever and we kind of feel right back where we started. I cried just a little because I was so discouraged and hated having to leave him this morning. But I had to go to work. I missed 2 days last week and this month is our busiest of the school year with Christmas crafts and activities. Sooo, he went into work with daddy for a little bit before coming home and waiting on mama and Austin to rush home from school so daddy could go back to work. Gracious. Maybe we'll get rid of all this yuckiness soon and back to our normal routine. In the meantime I'm going to try to keep it together, get my big boy well, attempt to find normal again, and enjoy our Christmas season. Mama having a meltdown won't help anything. We had a great weekend and now we're on the home stretch to being back on track. Almost there.

I may need to remember and repeat this little pep talk if I end up back in the doctor's office... I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

The McCorkle Family said...

I am a semi-new blogger and was going back through some of Kelly's Korner's Show Us Your Life days and saw the one on meeting other bloggers in your area! I came across your blog, because I, too, live in Georgia. We live just north of Atlanta and have a 17 month old son. Your boys are precious! Just through I'd stop in and say hi! :-)