Sunday, December 16, 2012

The Worst Sick Season Ever

It's been awhile, but we're still here. I started having blogging withdrawals because I'd been away and hadn't had the chance to write in so long. Two sentences in and I'm feeling better already. =)

Gracious. We have had a time of it. My babies (all 3 of them) have been sick. Very sick. As soon as one gets over something, another comes down with something different. Or the same one comes down with something different. It's been wild. And stressful. And exhausting. BUT, as of tonight we are planning/expecting/have every intention to all go to school and work tomorrow. We'll see what the morning brings, but as of tonight, tomorrow's plans are a go. We'll be holding our breath til then though.

Since Thanksgiving my boys have had one bug or virus after another. Especially Garrison. Poor baby has caught everything there is to catch. The week after Thanksgiving we made it to school one day before he came down with strep. The week after that he didn't make it a single day because he came down with the flu. Then, this week he made it 3 days before coming down with the stomach bug. He has not had a fun 3 weeks... at all. I have felt so sorry for him. He's been pitiful. And every time we think he's over whatever he has, he comes down with something else. Hence the reason we'll be holding our breath tonight.

Then, in the midst of Garrison's tough time, Austin came down with an ear infection, pink eye, and diarrhea. So sad. Poor baby had a hard time going to sleep and couldn't get comfortable and just didn't feel good. It broke my heart to see my babies so miserable. Not to mention my frustration at the fact that we couldn't seem to get well and stay well.

Sooo, we pretty much moved in over at our pediatrician's office. Seriously. They have seen me and one of my children at least once a week the past 3 weeks. Not fun. And we started our Christmas break from a school a little early because I haven't been able to go to work but a few days since Thanksgiving break. Thankfully my father-in-law was able to come over one day to stay with Austin so Garrison and I could go. But then the next day is when Garrison started throwing up. Sigh.

The day that Garrison came down with stomach bug, Terrell also started feeling sick. Really sick. So sick we felt pretty confident he had the flu. And so sick that I slept on the couch in an effort to protect myself. Long story short, he ended up going to our urgent care place on Friday morning and they determined he did NOT have the flu (Thank you Lord) but that he did have a virus and infection combination. And it was pretty serious because he fainted in the waiting room on his way out and had to be given IV fluids for dehydration. Thankfully, Terrell's mom came over and was with him (because he couldn't drive himself and I was home trying to take care of sick boys). We are SO grateful she was here. She waited with him while he got 2 bags of fluids. She picked up groceries for us. She dropped off and picked up his prescriptions. And, she brought him home safe and sound.

By the time he got home we had made the decision for me and the boys to pack up and head to Barnesville so I could have some help and so we could give Terrell a chance to get better without us being "exposed". It was stressful to pack up and leave... and my nerves were shot, but it was the right decision.

My parents were wonderful. They cooked for us and fed us every meal. They helped with bath and bedtime. My dad kept Garrison while my mom, Austin, and I did some Christmas shopping. My mom kept Austin while Garrison and I went to see my dad and Terrell's mom in the Christmas program at church. They played with the boys and kept them entertained the whole weekend. My parents and my in-laws saved the day multiple days. Big time. We are so blessed and so thankful.

This sick season has been tough on us. Tough. We've never been this sick. It hasn't been easy or fun and I'm pretty sure it hasn't brought out the best in this mama. It's made me emotional and sleep deprived and drained and stressed out. And it's taken away from our Christmas season a little. Boo. But, we're all here and we're all okay. We're getting better slowly but surely. We're still celebrating Christmas even if it's going a little differently than we expected. In this mean and crazy world that is not our home, we're together as a family. Together. And that keeps everything in perspective for me. This "sick season" stinks but we're enduring it together. And despite the yuckiness and stress and hot mess that we've been lately, I am SO grateful.

2 comments:

Lauren and Eddie said...

We have been there! I thought Janes would never get well last year. I was pregnant and due any day with Will and he and I both got bronchitis. It was so bad that I asked our pediatrician if they'd even let James into the back to visit at the hospital when Will was born. He laughed and told me to get used to the sharing of germs! Hang in there! And get outside in this WARM Georgia weather!

Melissa said...

Aww... I am so sorry!! We went thru a month of sickness in October with someone having something the whole time... It was miserable for us all!! I hope everyone was well enough for "regularly scheduled programming" to resume.