Tuesday, February 21, 2012

One of Those Days...

The day didn't start off as one of those days... but it quickly became one. It was more so the morning, although lunch was a tad crazy as all meal times are, and now I hear by littlest man awake from his nap already. Gracious. What is going on around here?

The day started like normal. I hit the snooze button an extra time and stumbled out of bed at 6:20. I'm supposed to get up at 6:00 or 6:10, but somehow I'm so out of it and tired that that never happens. Anyway, Mr. Austin was awake when I got out of the shower. That's becoming kind of a regular thing. I was able to finish getting ready before feeding him, which was nice, and then we heard Garrison over the monitor and the day officially began.

So far so good. Nothing too crazy or exhausting or patience-trying.... so far.

Breakfast was when everything got messy. Literally. But first, I had to change Austin's clothes (he just sleeps in a onesie and a sleep sack so he needed be changed into "real" clothes for the day) plus take Garrison to the potty and get him dressed (it's easier to get him dressed first thing instead of fighting the battle later when it's interrupting whatever he's doing).

Finally I got started on breakfast with my assembly line going and trying to keep us moving quickly because a man was coming to measure our fireplace and the stone around it (because we're finally getting around to having it replaced... a gift my in-laws generously gave us a few anniversaries ago).

Here comes the messy part.

We managed to eat breakfast while listening to Bailey tear down the door because she had to go out. In the meantime, Austin threw up half of his breakfast all over the table. Got him cleaned up the best I could without changing his clothes because Garrison and I were still eating. Put our frozen solid, hard-as-a-rock roast (hate when we forget to thaw out the meat), red potatoes, and carrots in the crock pot so we can eat tonight... hope it turns out okay. Got Garrison cleaned up and out of the high chair. Left our breakfast mess on the table. Took Bailey out. She changed her mind and decided she didn't have to "go". Took Austin back to his room to change him out of yucky throw up clothes. Changed a big time poopy diaper, got him in clean clothes and ready for his nap. As soon as I picked him up, he spit up all over the carpet. (That's when I wanted to cry and have myself a pity party in the floor with the spit up.) Changed him again. Cleaned the carpet. Started a load of the boys' clothes since they were piling up so quickly. Finally got Austin down for his nap. (Garrison was a good helper.) Took Bailey out again. Cleaned up our breakfast mess. Fed Bailey (almost forgot). Straightened up a little because the fireplace man would show up anytime. Talked to Terrell- fireplace man was going to be late. Played with Garrison. Heard Austin over the monitor. Seriously? Decided we had time to go to the library before he would need to eat again. (It's Garrison's Winter Break from school so I wanted to plan a few special outings for him. I don't think we've been to the library in 2012 so it was time.) I was in such a rush to get out the door so we wouldn't have to rush so much to get back for Austin to eat that I forgot to put a jacket on Garrison... or myself. Thankfully I remembered a blanket for Austin. I didn't completely freeze while I got out the stroller and everything we would need for our 40 minute library visit.

On a positive note, our visit at the library went great. The fireplace man came while Terrell was home for an early lunch. Austin didn't throw up his lunch. Garrison went down easily for his nap. I was able to do some Premier stuff.

Things were actually going well and looking up until hearing Austin over the monitor. Another poopy diaper. That's what woke him up. Sigh.

He's now happily playing on the floor while I type... so not all bad I guess. Time to join him on the floor for some "engaging" play time and cross my fingers that the craziness of the first half of the day doesn't revisit us this afternoon. Sigh. Again.

No comments: