Thursday, February 16, 2012

Feeding Time

Feeding time at our house just got a whole lot busier... and messier. The littlest man is now eating 3 meals a day and loving himself some baby food. I can hardly keep up with the meal preparations going on around here! Multi-tasking at it's finest occurs as I prepare our breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
When Garrison was a baby, he always ate when we ate. It worked out great because we were all on the same "meal schedule" plus he got used to sitting in the high chair and being patient while we ate and fed him, as opposed to us feeding him all at once without him ever having to wait for his next spoonful. Garrison and I ate breakfast and lunch together and we all ate supper together when Terrell got home.

With Austin things are a bit more challenging. First of all I'm already preparing meals for myself and Garrison, so adding in the baby food factor means I'm working double at meal times.... which is fine, just kind of busy. Then there's the fact that my 3 year old still uses the high chair. He's just a messy eater and we're dreading him sitting in a regular chair at our dining room table. We don't have a kitchen table in our kitchen because there isn't a huge space for one... although I'm voting we get one soon! Sooo, Austin is sitting in the bumbo on the table while Garrison is in the high chair. Which would be fine except I can't leave him sitting there unattended while I prepare our food, so he sits in the bouncy as I prepare, and moves into the bumbo to eat.



Once we finally sit down to eat, I'm torn between keeping Garrison's plate full (he's always requesting more of something) and feeding Austin his spoonfuls of pears and green beans, and feeding myself. I like to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner too. I've never been one who does well with skipping meals.

We also ran into some diaper issues with Austin when he first started on solid food if he ate supper too late, so I'm trying to feed him while I cook. Which I'm really torn about. I want him to eat with the family, but I also want him to go to sleep at night without waking up from a big ole poo poo diaper. We may need to start pushing back his supper little by little to see how it goes.

For now, the craziness and adventure that is feeding time will continue and I will most certainly become a master of assembly line meal preparations and the use of 3 hands while we eat.



But as long as everyone's full and happy, so am I. (Can't even imagine how fun and crazy it'll be adding another mouth to feed one day!)


No comments: