Monday, February 25, 2013

Winter Break Recap

This past week we enjoyed our Winter Break from school. It was SO nice to have a little break and to not have to worry about making lunches and picking out clothes the night before and waking up the kids every morning. We definitely enjoyed ourselves... and because this blog serves as our family journal (and so I don't forget) I wanted to do a quick recap of the week's events and challenges.

Monday- This was President's Day so Terrell had the day off and we hung out around the house, did a little laundry, and played outside. It was a relaxing and fun day... especially for the boys.

Tuesday- Tuesday was rainy so we stayed in all day except for Austin's follow-up appointment with the ENT. This was his first appointment since getting tubes and while the left ear looked great the right ear still had some issues. We were given more ear drops and have to go back in a few weeks for another follow-up and a hearing test. By late afternoon the weather was super nice so we were able to play outside for just a little while before supper.

Wednesday- This was the wild and crazy day at the Georgia Aquarium. Plus Terrell had to work late. It was a special day since we got to go on a special outing... but it was also super draining.

Thursday- On Wednesday night/Thursday morning Garrison woke up a couple of times during the middle of the night with an ear ache and some kind of fluid/discharge coming out of his right ear. Soooo, we made an appointment on Thursday morning and went to the doctor only to discover he had a cold that included strep throat. Which was part of the reason he was having issues with his ear. Yuck. He laid around the rest of the day Thursday but starting feeling better as bedtime approached. Thankfully he slept all night and he is much better now.

Friday- Friday was another rainy, cold day so we stayed home most of the day playing inside and doing laundry. Since Garrison still wasn't 100% and Austin and I both were a little under the weather from colds we can't kick, it worked out for the best to stay home. Terrell got off early so we could go out to eat and do just a little shopping on Friday night. It was nice to finally get out after a messy day stuck inside.

While our week wasn't spectacular or exciting or filled with lots of fun outings, I think we were all (even the boys) thankful for the break. It was fairly low-key and stress-free. Almost. (But don't forget about the Aquarium...)

But we also had some challenges. And this was probably my first break from school that I've faced these challenges. Which was different for me. I'm used to things being easier and more laid back when we don't have school. I'm used to feeling more at ease and in my element... home with the boys, taking care of the house and our errands, and just in my preferred role.

For documentation purposes, here are some of the challenges faced:

Lack of routine: While a break in the routine was so super nice and I loved every second of not making lunches and ironing and waking up at 5:40 (I like to have time for my quiet time and to read/write blogs before the boys wake up), it was a little challenging. For the first time ever I think, I found myself saying I sorta, almost, maybe just a tad get how some working moms say they could never be stay at home moms after having a long break from work (and their routine). I've never gotten it before. Ever. (Just because I've always loved being home.) But this week was tough having unlimited time at home without a whole lot planned. It threw me off a little. We still had the meals and naptime routine in place, but other than that we had lots of time on our hands. A part of me wanted to be lazy and a part of me wanted to tackle everything under the sun.

We didn't plan a lot because of doctor's appointments, the weather, being sick, etc. And it made for some interesting days. Half the time the boys were angels and getting along perfect and entertaining each other and the best of friends. (LOVE). The other half was spent breaking up fights and teaching lessons on sharing and trying to make Austin understand that hitting is a no-no and trying to make Garrison understand that he is expected to listen and obey the first time he's told. I am thankful that they are at the point where they really play together though. It was precious to watch and hear... until the crying/yelling/chasing/whining began. Haha.

While our lack of routine made me a little stir crazy because of having too much time on our hands, I have to say that staying home full time is still my first love. Because when I'm home all the time we do have a routine and a plan for everyday. Occassionally sicknesss and the weather throw things off but for the most part our routine is there and things are good. We have the perfect mix of getting out and staying home and it works for everybody involved. Hopefully I'll get back in that groove this summer.

Unlimited Playtime: Because we were home a lot last week and weren't in our usual routine, there were several stretches of unlimited playtime. Lots and lots of time to play. And eventually all that playtime started to wear on me. Because eventually all I heard were requests for mama to play. Which means the house was a disaster and I felt like I didn't have 2 seconds to myself.

If I'm being totally honest, sometimes it's hard for me to stop and play. Sometimes it's easier for me to do chores around the house while they play (or to take a break while they play). I enjoy playing with my boys on the floor when I know there's some sort of time limit and/or purpose. Playing with blocks and helping Austin say his colors until it's time for lunch... I'm good. Playing ball in the hallway for 15 minutes to get out energy until daddy gets home... I can do it. Sitting down to play with an unlimited amount of time to play... gets kind of tough. (At least for me.) We all get bored. I feel like I need some kind of lesson plan so we're learning or being productive. Ha! And when you're playing with a 4 year old and an almost 18 month old there's only so much you can all do together. Which is why sometimes it's easier when they're playing together doing something only they can do... riding their toys around, pushing dump trucks, etc. Or when I'm playing with them one-on-one.

I'm hoping the challenge was more about our routine being off and us having a little too much time at home rather than the possibility I may not be good at playing for long stretches. Sigh.

Angry Birds: My firstborn is officially addicted. Oh my gracious. He was exposed a while back and this week he discovered he's in love with the game on daddy's phone. (We're rethinking the decision to download it now.) The first few days he drove us crazy asking to play. He was literally borderline obsessed. Angry Birds was seriously one of my "challenges" of the week. I'm just not a huge fan of tons of technology for kiddos and this really made me question our parenting more than once. (I know that sounds dramatic but when your 4 year old is revolving everything around a game on a phone... it makes you question.) We've now decided he gets 2 times per day to play and that's it. Knowing his limit has helped a lot... and saved our sanity. And hopefully he'll move right on out of this phase soon. If not, Angry Birds may be deleted. So sad.

*This weekend we wrapped up our break by going Easter shopping and spending lots of time outside yesterday. A family walk of the neighborhood was wonderful. Then today we had a good day back at school and are hopefully all getting well. Austin had an appointment this afternoon and I have one tomorrow. We're praying we're past the sick stuff soon and can enjoy our regular ole routine to the fullest. Baseball is right around the corner afterall!

No comments: