Monday, February 18, 2013

A Date with Garrison & Other Weekend Happenings

We have had a really fun and long weekend this President's Day weekend. Having an extra day with daddy home as we kick off our Winter Break from school has been wonderful. Saturday was jam packed and then yesterday and today have been super low key. It's been a good combination of busy and fun but still relaxing.

We kicked things off on Saturday when we took Garrison to the circus. This was part of his birthday present from us and something we were all really excited about... that is until Friday night when he realized for sure that Austin wouldn't be going with us. I was putting him to bed and he kept saying things like, But I'm gonna miss him. Austin likes animals doing tricks. He really likes dat. But I wish he could go. I'm gonna miss him. Then I tried explaining that this was a special birthday present for Garrison- sort of like a date with mama and daddy, and that for Austin's birthday we would have a date with just him and he (Garrison) would stay home with somebody. So that led to, but I'm gonna miss ya'll. I'm gonna be sad when I can't go. I'm gonna really miss Austin. Which led to me questioning the whole idea of the birthday date for each individual child and sort of broke my heart.

Terrell and I talked about it and my laid back/whatever/totally chill of a husband said it was no big deal, we would play it by ear with each child each birthday. So there. Problem solved. According to Terrell. It still sort of had me in turmoil while analyzing the whole thing and hoping neither of my boys will be scarred from this little plan of ours...

Thankfully Garrison woke up super excited Saturday morning and even told Austin where we were going and that he couldn't go. Guess his sympathy only lasted so long. I do have to say though he was very informative and helpful giving Granna lots of tips and instructions on Austin's routine, toys, food, etc. He made sure Austin would be well taken care of. It was very sweet and big brotherly of him.
Ready for our day of fun!

 
Austin and Granna- his play mate for the day

We left around 9:00 Saturday morning, drove to the nearest Marta station, froze while we waited for our train, and then rode all the way into Atlanta to Philips Arena. Garrison loved the train ride but wasn't nearly as impressed as last year. It was a still a fun part of our day though.

Granna had given him money for a souvenir from the circus and that was the first thing he wanted to do. We thought he'd pick out one of the overpriced glow in the dark swords or spinning things that every other kid had but he chose a fourwheeler and race car. Nothing to do with the circus but what he wanted without a doubt!
He loved the circus... especially all the animals. He was also pretty wowed by the motocycles. His favorite parts were the elephants and tigers... and picking out 2 toys! It lasted 2 hours so by the time it wrapped up he was hungry (very hungry) and super tired. We braved the crowds at the CNN Center and ate our lunch on the floor. That place was crazy packed. There were cheerleaders everywhere. And circus go-ers. We left there and got back on the train as soon as we could. We had a really fun day together... and Austin had a good day too!

Saturday night we headed down to Griffin to meet my mom's side of the family for dinner at a nice restaurant to celebrate my Paw Paw's 87th birthday. We're so glad we got to go. It was fun for the kids and nice to be able to celebrate with Paw Paw and the rest of the family.

Yesterday we slept in, bought groceries, went out for ice cream (even though it was freezing!), and made a quick trip to Wal-Mart. Today's been more of the same except we're mainly hanging out at home. The boys have loved having daddy here to play with them. And I've enjoyed a break in the routine! Now I'm looking forward to some fun outings with the boys this week as we enjoy our break!

No comments: