Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Project I Love You Because...

With Valentine's Day coming up tomorrow I thought I'd share something new our family is doing this year. It's sort of like a project but more about just being intentional with telling each other why we love each other. I got the idea after reading a blog post from one of my favorite "educational" type blogs (icanteachmychild.com) which led me to this post. (My husband just loves when I act on these ideas I find...read with sarcasm), Garrison on the other hand was thrilled with the idea right from the start. =)

I already had a similar idea of making a homemade card for Terrell and listing some of the reasons I love him on cutesy little construction paper hearts. Then, when I read the post mentioned above, I decided to make it a family affair. I changed and tweaked it just a little but the jist of it is to write down "I love you because" notes to each family member leading up to Valentine's Day. (We just started on Sunday but technically you could start whenever). Then we'll read them aloud around the table tomorrow night. I'm thinking I would really love for this to become a tradition... cause I'm slightly obsessed with traditions.

I decided to go with a color coded system to make it less confusing and perfectly equal right from the start. I cut out construction paper hearts in each family member's chosen color (8 each to be exact because that's how it worked out with the paper I had) and found a plastic jar that's actually supposed to be Christmas-themed I think but could pass for winter-y.

It doesn't really matter what you put your hearts or slips of paper in... I just wanted mine to be something clear so we could see it filling up. Mainly for Garrison.... okay, for me too.

So each family member writes a little "I love you because..." note on other family members hearts. If Garrison wants to write something to daddy, we grab a red heart (Terrell's hearts are red) and he tells me what it should say, then I write it down and sign his name. If I want to write something to Austin, I grab a dark blue heart because that's his color, jot down "I love you because..." and sign my name. Then we fold it up and drop it in the jar. Garrison wrote his little love notes all at once on day one. I've done mine throughout the week. Austin has done his when I do mine. (I'm pretty sure I know why he loves each family member for all different reasons.)

Most of the pink hearts (which are mine) were last to go in. BUT, in Terrell's defense, he was at a slight disadvantage because he doesn't have very much time at all when he's alone with the kids in the evenings. Or when I'm not around in general. Whereas I'm home without him all the time. Nonetheless, my loving hubs made sure my pink hearts were dropped in the jar on Valentine's Eve from him and the boys. =)


I'm looking forward to our take-out, fancy dessert, and reading of I love you because notes tomorrow night. I'm sure it will be fun and interesting and nothing like we expect. It's always an adventure around here!

*And I had to share just one more thing. A Valentine post all about showing love to your kids in different ways. It's full of great ideas and reminders that I definitely agree with and strive to implement already... or hope to in the future. Happy Valentine's Day tomorrow!

No comments: