Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Lately

*Lately I've been longing for Fall. And cool evenings. And light breezes. Ahhhh. (But it makes me kind of sad because I don't want to rush through the next month or my baby's first birthday or school starting...) But at the same time, I am so. over. the. HEAT. It is miserable. I seriously think I handled the heat better last summer when I was big and pregnant and carrying around baby boy. I have been sweating so much this summer it's crazy! And disgusting. I take Bailey out, beads of sweat are forming. I load up the kids in the car, sweat is dripping... or close to it. I cook supper in my hot kitchen, you guessed it, bring on the sweat. We can't go outside and play or enjoy anything outdoors because it's so hot. And that's what makes me look forward to leaves changing and pumpkins and football, because along with my favorite season of all comes relief.

*Lately I've been party planning and getting ready for Austin's big day. We're right at a month away so it's crunch time. (Note to self: Next year have it all done and ready to go waaay before school starts.) Thankfully we've got most of the planning taken care of we just have to finalize the details. Right now the biggest thing I'm consumed with is finishing his baby book. I still have a ways to go, which is kind of stressful since I'm busy with back to school stuff now, but I'm determined to have it ready by party time. Determination is the key. Where there's a will there's a way. Okay, now I'm motivated.

*Lately I've been mentally preparing myself to go back to work. I'm really excited and really grateful, but still nervous and a little overwhelmed. I know this sounds ridiculous to working moms, but these 15 hours a week I'm about to start working are BIG. For one thing I'll still be doing Premier shows, so most weeks I'll be working more than 15 hours. But the main thing is the adjustment to me being out of the house 3 days a week. Less time for laundry and errands and cleaning and appointments... and kids. Gulp. Garrison would be starting school coming up no matter what so I'm really referring to my time with Austin. But I know in my heart that he'll be fine and I will too. And instead of focusing on the negative or feeling super guilty, I'm choosing to embrace this new adventure with a good attitude and a grateful heart. God is providing just what we need through this job!

*Lately I've been watching the Olympics. And the swimmers and gymnasts totally wow me. (Along with all the other athletes, I've just mainly seen swimming and gymnastics.) And whenever they do one of those backstory things about the athlete and their family I'm wowed again. I can't even fathom the decision to uproot my family or send my child away for practically round the clock training in the sport they love. I'm not judging, I just can't fathom it. Blows my mind. But I'm really loving watching the Olympics (NOT loving the bottom line on the Braves game or ESPN telling me who won what before I'm able to watch it!) and I'm super excited about little crafts and "events" we've planned for our 3 year olds once school starts. Our theme for the month of August is Olympics and Games. How fun!

*Lately I've been reading Making Children Mind Without Losing Yours. I've mentioned before that I really like it and feel like it's exactly what we need. (I still haven't finished it because I literally only get to read right before bed when I'm already tired.) But I've/we've been working really hard to use reality discipline (I'll def have to blog about this later) and letting reality be the teacher and allowing Garrison to experience natural and logical consequences, however, the only thing that's stumped me is his issue with being too rough with Austin. Garrison is kind of rough by nature (maybe it's just a boy thing?) so Austin experiences his "roughness" quite a bit. We're struggling with it because it isn't okay for him to repeatedly hurt Austin because he's too rough or careless or inconsiderate. Yet what is the appropriate consequence? Something that really, truly teaches him it's not acceptable and that he has to remember to be careful and a little more gentle. We're not looking for a quick fix "punishment" but something he actually understands and grasps. Since I'm not finished with the book, there's still hope I'll come across something and the light bulb will go off.... or come on... or whatever. Until then, we're offering lots of encouragement and guidance for Garrison and lots of protection for Austin. Ha!

*Lately I've also been reading Jesus Calling during my quiet time every morning. I LOVE it and highly recommend it. It's short, but sooo good. I try to read the devotional, read the Scripture that goes along with it, and then reread the devotional. It's a peaceful way to start my day. I'm hoping I can still wake up early enough to have my quiet time in the mornings once school starts. It makes me feel better and more together and ready for the day to have some true quiet time in the mornings to pray and read my devotion and Bible. Next week will start our adjustment period as I begin preplanning. Oh goodness. I'm nervous just thinking about it.

*Lately I've been reflecting on our summer as it comes to a close and wraps up. It's bittersweet because we're moving on to a new chapter that doesn't include tons of freedom and time on our hands, but it's also refreshing and exciting to begin a new chapter and find a new routine. There have been plenty of ups and downs for this mama over the summer, but all in all it was pretty great. We are blessed, that's for sure. Time for a summer summary! (It's coming soon.) I heart this blog and the memories it keeps. =)

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I thought about this post today when I was loading the kids up at Chick-fil-A and sweating the whole time!!! LOL!! I'm ready for cooler temps too!

I'm dying to know what your final thought is on that book... I'm very seriously considering buying it. I mean I've got so many others ones, what's one more? One is bound to work! LOL!

I'll be praying for you as you prepare to go back to work! I know it will be hard!