Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The Case of the Appearing Tissues...

Last week was crazy rough. I honestly think my sanity escaped and ran away a couple of times. I literally lost my mind. Haha. I could hardly take care of my baby boys. So sad. I was really sick, really exhausted, really emotional, and in a total fog. Half the time I was out of it while my children ran wild.

Exhibit A: One day Garrison was going to the potty and I was in another room with my tissues and Sunny D (my go-to-must-haves when sick) when he started yelling that Austin was getting in the potty. He's gettin in da potty mama! He's gettin in da potty!! So I forced myself up and made the walk to the bathroom where I found my precious, adorable 10 month old splashing away in tee-tee potty water. That snapped me out of it. (Temporarily at least.) GROSS. It was disgusting. And scary that I had allowed such an atrocity to occur. Austin got a good scrubbing twice that day.

Gracious.

I went through the motions but was in full blown survival mode attempting to somehow feel better and get a little rest. However, the show must go on. Mama is still mama and that's just how it is. Even though I am blessed with a wonderful husband who went above and beyond last week... I was still on my own everyday and still had 3 Premier shows and still felt like I'd been run over by a train, or whatever the saying is.

On Thursday, one of the days I felt the worst but also one of the days I had a show, I made plans for Garrison to only "rest" during naptime as opposed to actually napping. Cause unfortunately he's still paying for naptime at bedtime on a lot of days (although we're sort of thinking we may have it figured out). Sooo, I decided I would do a few things to get ready for my show later that night while he "rested" and then I'd go in and let him get up and play in his room for the remainder of naptime. This would be a first but I really wanted him to go to bed on time for Terrell that night and the only way I knew to prevent him from falling asleep while guaranteeing that I still had some quiet rest time for myself was to rig naptime. So I stuck with the plan and he was pretty excited about getting out of bed and chose to play with play doh at his table but promised not to get it all over the floor, etc. I was desperate and decided it would be fine and then proceeded to go and take a little nap myself.... while my child played with play doh in his room unsupervised. Man was I feeling bad. No way would I have made that decision feeling normal.

After my little nap, I realized the monitor was pretty quiet and I didn't hear Garrison. At all. Uh oh. So I jumped up... sort of.... in slow motion, and went to check on him.

The first thing I noticed was my sweet boy sound asleep in his bed. Bless it. He was just too tired to play with play doh during his whole naptime. If that doesn't tell you he still needs a nap, I'm not sure what does.

The second thing I noticed was his play doh all put away nice and neat. It was like my eyes immediately shot over to his table after I saw he was in bed asleep. Phew. So glad I didn't have a not-so-good surprise waiting on me.

And here's where things get interesting. The third thing I noticed was lots and lots of tissues laying around all over his bed. Tissues, as in Kleenex, everywhere. They were pretty much covering the whole right side of his bed. I didn't count, but my estimate is around 10 tissues. Strange. I mentally replayed the getting ready for naptime routine in my head and did not recall even a single tissue in bed with him... although it's totally possible since he occassionally requests one before bed. But still, no recollection of tissues everywhere. Hmmm. I'd been asleep for 30 minutes or so so it's possible he just went to the bathroom and helped himself to lots of tissues. Not likely since he never leaves his bed much less his room without us coming in to get him, but I couldn't rule it out. Soooo the only thing left to do was wake up the little man and inquire about the abudance of tissues.

And here's where things get crazy. Garrison had zero knowledge of where or how the tissues arrived in his bed. The first time I asked he was still half asleep and mumbled that he didn't know where they came from. The second time I specifically asked if he left his room to get the tissues, and without hesitation, he said he didn't. I jus don't know where dey came from. I know dey didn't come from da bafroom. Hmmm. I decided to let it go for a while and to just bring it up later while making sure he knew he wasn't in trouble and that nothing was wrong. So I brought it up later and got the same answer. Puzzled and dazed about how they arrived in his bed but confident he didn't get them from the bathroom. I asked another time or two even later in the afternoon and finally left it alone. All the while extremely curious about this appearance of tissues everywhere.

Terrell told me after I got home that night that after he put Garrison to bed Garrison called him back in his room a little later and said, Daddy, where did all dem tissues come from? I know dey didn't come from da bafroom. Poor baby couldn't make sense of it either. Did he sleep walk? Was he just so tired his memory blocked it out? Did he have tissues stashed away we didn't know about? Did I sleep walk? (Okay that one's a total stretch, ha!)

Looks like the case of the appearing tissues will remain an unsolved mystery for the time being....

The strangest things happen when mama's not feeling good.

No comments: