Thursday, July 12, 2012

A Few Updates

*Terrell's back is doing MUCH better! And we are sooooo thankful!! The MRI showed another herniated disc right above or below (can't remember which) the one from 2005. His doctor recommended that he finish his medication and begin back exercises as a form of therapy every single day. The back excercises should become a daily habit (they're not a habit quite yet but we're working on it) that he always does no matter how wonderful and great his back is feeling. This should mean that his back is normal and fine at least 90% of the time. Yay! He does have to stay away from heavy lifting and strenuous activity like basketball, jogging/running, etc. So I guess we'll have to scratch our plan of being running buddies. That's okay. For now I'm satisfied chasing down my boys.

*We're no longer using our handy behavior chart for my firstborn. We actually didn't use it for that long, but while we did I'd say it definitely served it's purpose. We focused more on the positive and offered more praise and encouragement for being a good listener and showing good manners and using a kind voice. And Garrison responded well to it and progress was made... which was the goal from the beginning. But, we still have some issues we're working on. He still has meltdowns, forgets to use a kind voice, struggles with listening and obeying the first time, etc. But overall things are better than they were. And I finally got the parenting book I'd been wanting! So far, I love it and agree with everything. I know every parent disciplines differently and handles issues differently based on what they believe to be best and most effective for their child, but I have to say this book seems tailor made for us. I'm loving it. Maybe I'll blog about it when I finish.

*Garrison is still having trouble going to sleep at night on the days he naps and going straight to bed on time the days he doesn't. It's only been a couple of days since I posted about this little issue so we're still trying things out and hoping the vicious cycle will come to an end soon.

*We still aren't 100% sure what Austin's allergic to that caused him to break out in a rash last month... but we're avoiding anything with blueberries, sweet potato puffs, and organic baby food. Those were the "new" things we'd given him leading up to the rash so we're trying to play it safe. We feel like blueberries are the culprit but we'll have to make an appointment with the allergy/asthma center before we know anything for sure. When I'm going to find time for that appointment I have no idea.

(By the way, things are still crazy around here with us needing baby-sitters more than ever before BUT we're trying to embrace it and remain grateful. We have so much to be thankful for. A bad attitude and stressing out are not allowed! Unless mama needs a little meltdown to make it through.)

*And the BIGGEST news and update of all.... my baby boy is walking!!! Sort of. He's walking as he pushes Garrison's train or holds onto something. And he is the cutest thing ever with those rolly little legs! Last night Garrison got on the train and rode real slow while Austin pushed. We got out the video camera for that. He also stood up by himself for approximately 2.5 seconds yesterday. I'm thinking we just might have an official, full-blown walker on our hands before his 1st birthday. (That reminds me. I have GOT to start party planning. ASAP.)

2 comments:

Catie said...

Just found your blog! Your babies are so cute!! :)

Melissa said...

Yes- please do a blog post about that book when you are done... I would love to know how it is and if it was helpful at all! I have another one of his books - Have a New Kid by Friday- and it was good, with good info, but the methods just didn't work for us. So needless to say I am still losing my mind trying to get these rambunctious boys to listen and I would LOVE to get it back!!! :). Glad Terrell is doing better!! Have a good weekend!