Thursday, November 10, 2011

Rough Stretch

Our family of 4 has had a rough time of it lately. Things have been crazy around here and it seems that every single day brings a new challenge or another "trial" to face. I know I've said it before, but I want this blog to reflect and document our journey as a family... which includes the happy moments, major milestones, fun vacations, holidays with family, etc. AND the stressful, not-so-pleasant, down right tough moments... or days... or weeks. And it seems like the past two weeks have been more of the latter.

In a week's time all 4 of us have had to make a trip to the doctor. It almost started to feel like part of our daily routine.... and like we were all falling apart. On Monday we found out Garrison has to have tubes in his ears (not for an infection, but to get rid of fluid). That's been stressful in itself. I'm really nervous about it but thankful that this will give him 100% hearing again and will get rid of the almost constant runny nose and congestion we've been dealing with for weeks. I also had my postpartum doctor's visit and am now taking antibiotics to get rid of bacteria that "grew" as a result from giving birth. Yuck. On top of that, my poor husband has been sick all week. Gracious. When daddy is sick, mama is tired. Wait a minute, I'm pretty much tired all the time these days. But can I just say not having daddy 100% makes me appreciate all he does when he is. (Although he's done tons around here even though he doesn't feel good.) Thankfully Austin's appointment went well except for shots. That made us both sad.

Garrison has decided that the terrible twos should come out now. Even though we're almost done with the "twos" since he'll be the 3 in February. I love him more than I could ever imagine and he makes me smile and brings joy and laughter to our home daily (just like when he told Bailey to close her eyes this morning before we said the blessing at breakfast)... but this age is tough! Talk about a patience tester. It's really hard when your baby isn't obeying or being sweet and respectful like you're used to him being. Oh how it wears on a tired mama.

We're also dealing with some big financial decisions/challenges. And that can be major stressful and tough... especially when all we want is what's best for our babies (and our family as a whole) and sometimes it's just not crystal clear what that is. Plus having the holidays around the corner and the fact that I've been on "maternity leave" from Premier for almost 3 months means keeping a close eye on the budget and being super frugal. Needless to say I'm now officially off maternity leave and scheduling shows again, only this time it's while attempting to take care of 2 boys.... and trying to figure out how I can keep nursing when I'm out and about working. We need my Premier income big time going forward and thinking about that can make me feel overwhelmed and stressed all by itself.

Sometimes all I want to do is have a pity party and good cry about all of our "trials" and issues that keep coming up (and sometimes I most certainly do), but I'm trying my best to keep my eyes and my faith focused on Him. God has always been faithful and I know in my heart He will continue to be. A verse (and song) keep coming back to me as I've dealt with the roller coaster that's been the past couple of weeks.

Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.

Lamentations 3:22-23

...Morning by morning new mercies I see... Great is Thy Faithfulness, Lord unto me.

Even though things have been tough around here as of late, I'm also trying to keep everything in perspective. Especially when I feel a pity party coming on. We are BLESSED beyond measure. We have 2 healthy children, each other, a home, all the food and clothing we need, too many material things to count, and the love and support of our sweet families. There are so many people facing things way worse and way bigger than the issues I let get me in a tizzy. Keeping things in perspective really keeps me positive and focusing on all the blessings around me. Speaking of blessings... tomorrow we are heading home for a football play-off game, Premier show, time with family, and the dedication of our baby boy. I think this weekend is just what we need.

No comments: