Sunday, September 18, 2011

Our Weekend

This weekend Terrell and I were able to spend some quality time alone with this little man. We even made a trip to Wal-Mart and Old Navy, and went out to eat on Saturday. Austin did great and slept through it all. Other than a couple of rough hours overnight, we had a great time together and really enjoyed our weekend (except for missing his big brother of course).





The 3rd weekend in September is the annual arts and crafts festival, Buggy Days, in our hometown and yesterday was Austin's actual due date. Even though it would have been nice to get to go and we've never missed a year, we just weren't up for traveling and a big outing with a newborn yet. (But I'm already looking forward to going next year with both boys and praying the weather is just as nice!)




Anyway, a long time ago my mom told me that if we had the baby early (instead of on Buggy Days weekend when he was due) that she would take Garrison to Buggy Days for us if he wanted to go and we were okay with it. Well things worked out perfect because my mom was already here on Thursday and Friday since Terrell just went back to work, so she was able to take Garrison home with her on Friday afternoon.




I have to admit that I was a little nervous about him going with her for the whole weekend and being away from us again. The last time we were away from him for a whole weekend we brought home a little brother! I just didn't want him to feel "neglected" by us or like we were trying to get rid of him or something. I know I'm crazy for thinking like that, but for some reason I'm really struggling with what I think is a tough adjustment for Garrison. He's probably fine with everything and I'm the one struggling. And feeling guilty all the time. I hope this is normal. If it's not...... well, I'm just going to believe it is. The bottom line is that even though I was torn about him going, I knew he would have way more fun being with my parents and sister and going to Buggy Days than he would at home with us for the whole weekend. Soo, we talked to the little man about it and made the decision for him to go... unless he had a meltdown and wanted to stay home. =)


I was sad off and on on Friday evening about him being away, but after talking to my mom I finally realized that as always he was fine without us and having a great time. Haha. He got to go out to eat on Friday night and then spent almost the entire day Saturday at Buggy Days. He was spoiled with 4 different Buggy Days purchases from Granna and Papa and then got to watch the parade. He loved seeing the firetrucks, police cars, horses, and the bands. I don't think he was a huge fan of the loud noises though. After the parade he took a nap and then got to go to a cookout at Nanny's house with my dad's side of the family. From what I hear, he had a ball there too.


After hearing how much fun he was having I became confident we made the right decision by letting him spend the weekend in Barnesville. There's no doubt that he had lots more fun away for the weekend than he would have had at home. Yay for a great weekend for my oldest baby! Looking back, why was I sooo worried about it in the first place? I actually did have my reasons, but I definitely shouldn't have worried over them.


This afternoon Terrell's parents had to make a trip to Jackson (the halfway point for us) so they picked up Garrison from my parents' and Terrell met them to pick him up. As soon as I heard the garage I went outside to greet him and he gave me a big hug. I was thrilled. =) It felt like he actually missed me. And then he told me he missed Austin. Just as sweet. Here's my handsome little man with one of his Buggy Days souvenirs... a Cookie Monster hat. So cute!




*** Huge thank you to Granna, Papa, and AnAn for taking care of Garrison this weekend! We know he appreciated going to Buggy Days and Nanny's and being the center of attention all weekend! Knowing he was happy made us happy. And we were thankful for some quality time with Austin too. =)

No comments: