Friday, September 9, 2011

Introducing Garrison to His Little Brother

My parents were able to bring Garrison to the hospital on Saturday afternoon to meet his little brother. The timing worked out great because it gave my mom a chance to go back to our house and rest some, and it gave us a chance to settle into our room and try to get comfortable before his visit. I had been anticipating the introduction throughout the day and I felt sort of anxious about how it would go. I had also been sort of emotional about it (and lots of other things it seemed like) because I felt guilty about how much Garrison's life was about to change. My hormones were just out of control. I mean, I honestly don't remember being traumatized or feeling unloved when my parents brought Anna home from the hospital. In fact, I don't even remember it! When it comes to memories of my childhood, she was always there and always a part of my life. Soo, I tried to think about Garrison and Austin like that, but unfortunately it didn't stop me from shedding a few tears over my "guilt".

Anyway, once we knew they were in the parking lot and could be arriving any minute, Terrell went out to the hallway to greet Garrison while I tried to make sure my emotions were in check before he came in. I heard some talking outside my room and then heard Terrell talking to Garrison, but I couldn't really make out what was being said... unitl I heard, "Where mama at, daddy?" I could have cried. A little over guilt, a little because I missed him, and a little just because he was there to see me, daddy, and Austin for the first time. I knew that crying wouldn't help anything but would instead make everything worse, so I tried to relax and just be happy about my boys meeting each other.

The pictures below tell a story of how the introduction went. They are all in order starting from the moment he came in the room and they all reflect Garrison's reaction to the reality of what we'd been talking about for months... a baby brother.


Garrison walked in with AnAn and they came right over to the bed to see me and Austin. I could tell right away he was apprehensive but still happy to see me. I don't remember everything I said but I know we talked about Austin and we talked about what Garrison had been doing with Granna and Papa.


After standing by my bed and taking a look at Austin... but saying very little, Granna and AnAn gave Garrison a closer look at his little brother. And at this point he really isn't sure about this whole big brother business!

He was then given a chance to hold Austin, but didn't want to even touch him. As I watched his reaction the guilt took over but I refused to cry and just told myself it was normal for him to need some time. Walking into a hospital room and seeing your mama laid up in bed holding a tiny baby has got to be overwhleming for a 2 and 1/2 year old.


After a few minutes, he warmed up to the idea of touching Austin and he even attempted to help hold him


Then he became really curious...


Then he became really sweet...


Then he was ready to be hands-on and was quite fascinated with his little brother. In his words, "I want to hold onto him"


Seeing the look on his face as he stared down at Austin made my guilt melt away and instead I wanted to cry happy tears. You have to click on the picture to see it. So precious.


Then he decided he loved him and would give him a kiss. Made my heart happy.


Our first day home, he wanted to help and be a part of just about everything to do with Austin... until he got busy playing and forgot about him. =) And I remember thinking, he's going to be fine. I'm emotional and nervous about this transition/adjustment for him, but I know he'll be fine.





So far, even though things have been busier with two, the transition for all of us has gone smoothly. In our case, I believe the transition from 1 to 2 has been easier than from 0 to 1. But... it's only day 5 at home so I could change my mind about that one. =) Mostly I'm just super grateful that Garrison is handling things so well, that I'm recovering much faster than last time and a little less emotional every day, and that Terrell has been home with us for longer this time and that he's such a great husband and dad.

No comments: