Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Movie Time

One of Garrison's favorite books right now is a book called "Petting Farm". We have read it over, and over, and over again. He just never gets tired of it. The book has photos of real animals and he seems to really like that, and it came with a "Petting Farm" movie that we finally decided to try out yesterday morning.

Garrison sat on the couch and watched for a few minutes and then he got down and played and even left the room on his car a couple of times, but would always come back and watch a couple of minutes of the movie (which was only like 20-30 minutes long) and the animals before doing something else. He seemed pretty fascinated with the real animals (can't wait to plan our trip to the zoo!) and liked the movie, but he just doesn't sit and watch a lot of TV. (It will probably be a long time before we attempt to take him to see a movie at the theater.) It's sort of a good thing and bad thing. I like that he's not addicted to or sucked in by the TV or any other form of technology for that matter (although he does request to watch Elmo/Sesame Street almost every day... he just never watches it start to finish), he would much rather play or read or be doing something... which I think is a really good thing. As a former teacher, I know that too much TV isn't a good thing and it can have a negative impact on a child's attention span... but I definitely wouldn't mind if he could sit still on the couch for an extended period of time and watch an educational show start to finish.... not to mention the convenience factor. I know moms who let their toddlers/preschoolers watch cartoons while they take showers or go back to bed for a little while on a Saturday morning. I don't think I'd be that brave, but it's still a fun idea.

Anyway, now that I've gone way off on a tangent, I'll get back to the point. I do happen to have one child that can apparently watch a show start to finish without playing or anything. My fiesty, sweet (most of the time), four-legged baby, Bailey. When I started the movie, I believe she was laying on the back of the couch or about to get on the back of the couch as she prepared for her extra long morning nap. As I started pointing out the animals to Garrison and watching the movie myself, I noticed Bailey was sitting up and staring intently at the TV. It was SO funny! I thought, she must recognize these animals on the screen and they've gotten her attention. I thought she would eventually get bored with it and just lay down, but she continued to watch. I was sort of amazed. I had never seen her watch something on TV for such a long time. Finally Garrison got down and started doing something near the couch that Bailey wasn't comfortable with, so she jumped down and went and sat in front of the TV. Ha! I told Terrell about it on the phone and was saying how I wished he could see her and he reminded me to take a picture. I'm so glad he thought of that because these pictures are just too funny. I feel like the next time we leave the house for a long period of time we should put in that movie so she'll have some entertainment while we're out. Garrison didn't seem that surprised that Bailey loved the movie about the animals. I guess he thought it was perfectly normal for her to like it. =)






No comments: