Thursday, April 26, 2018

More and Less: March and April Edition

So last month I didn't get around to updating how things were going. On purpose. March was a doozy. And I pretty much did terrible with more and less.

It all started with not being able to run/walk for exercise. Boo! My heels and feet became so sore that it hurt to walk up and down the stairs in my house. I was sore for weeks before it finally went away and I felt back to normal. And my best guess is that is had something to do with my shoes and needing a new pair that's more specific to my feet and walking/running. Annnnnd, that hasn't happened yet. So I've basically been in-active for the past 2 months. *BIG sigh* But hopefully that will change with swimming weather coming soon! And I really do want to eventually find the right pair of shoes.

I also started eating more sweets and going to bed a tad later. Our sports season got me! Plus my sweet tooth! Ugh. I blogged less and skipped more quiet times in the morning than I care to admit.

Basically it just wasn't something I wanted to write about. #Marchfail

The positive in March was I did really well putting my phone away. I can count on one hand the times I got on my phone in the evenings for the whole month. I just didn't have time for it, was super tired and/or busy, and didn't keep it "on" me constantly. So that was pretty awesome... but the only highlight for March.

April has been a little better. In some areas. Ha. Here are the details...

MORE....

*Going to bed early. This one has been inconsistent at best. With week-night ball games and practices and a busier schedule in general, our bedtimes have suffered. I don't think my kids have been in bed before 8:00 since pre-Spring Break. I try to keep my 10:00 goal in mind, but some nights it just isn't possible, not without neglecting all of my responsibilities, and some nights I end up staying up too late in bed reading. So I really need to get back on track with going to bed early. I'm not sure it's realistic here at the end of the school year but that's why I need to try.... things are busy and exhausting right now! Haha! 

*Cleaning during the week. I'm not sure how to "assess" myself here. On game nights we don't do much of anything in the way of house cleaning. We're home for a stretch in the afternoon and home for baths and bedtime sort of late, and that's about it. On non-game nights I usually vacuum. I don't know when I became obsessed (using the word "obsessed" loosely here) with vacuuming, but I want to vacuum the kitchen after every meal. And if I have time and the living room is "picked up" then I'll also do the living room, and probably our bedroom too. The vacuum is out a LOT. And happens regularly. So does clean up of toys, baseball cards, beyblades, and anything else the boys have out. (Which we make them put away.) But other cleaning happens mostly on the weekends. And for now, I'm fine with that. I just don't have the time or will/energy to do it during the week after my regular chores of supper, kitchen clean-up, vacuuming crumbs and such, and packing lunches. Although this week I did manage to dust one piece of furniture (it was driving me crazy) and I windex-ed one mirror (it was also driving me crazy), so that has to count for something. 😊

*Praying and time with the Lord. I'm doing so-so with this. The biggest hurdle has been making my quiet time a priority every morning. Some mornings I've slept a little later, some mornings I'm slower getting ready so I don't feel like I have time, and some mornings I'm just lazy/selfish. Those are all excuses and things I need to work on but I also know that whether I'm reading my devotion each morning or not, most of my mornings before anyone else is awake are spent with Jesus. I'm praying and talking to Him off and on while I shower and get ready. I do want and need to spend more time in the Word next month.  

*Physical Activity. Zilch. Zero. Nada. Nothing. Does carrying Layton up and down the stairs once a day count? He usually asks me to carry him downstairs on school mornings and he sometimes requests I carry him upstairs for bedtime. I'm hoping to get "fitted"(?) for shoes at some point so I can get back to walking the neighborhood and I'm hoping to swim a lot of laps this summer. 😊

*Blogging. I continued. Haha. That's my only goal until I wrap up this school year. 

LESS...

*Time on my phone. I've formed some good habits! I don't automatically check my phone/look at my phone in the car (when I'm a passenger of course), I put it away in the evenings, and I get on FB even less than before (which was never a daily "addiction" for me). So I think I'm going in the right direction! I still need to work on not keeping it with me every second, and *trying* not be on it when I'm with my kiddos. Setting an example for them and limiting our "technology time" as a family is really important to me and my main motivation. So I'm pretty thankful for my progress so far. 


*Sweets. Ummmm, I don't even get an E for Effort this month. I blame the Easter candy and being tired. Haha. I haven't had the energy to fight the sweet tooth!! But it's time to get back on track. Swimsuit season is around the corner!

*Being overwhelmed. This month has been a success! We've been busy and things at school are starting to get pretty crazy but so far I'm keeping my cool and haven't panicked. #Praise!! I'm praying this attitude and peace of mind continues throughout May because our calendar is filling up and May is possibly our busiest month of the entire year. This particular goal feels the most out of my control but also the most important. God's grace is so abundant!

So that's a wrap on how more and less went in March and April. I have to lot to improve on! Even though it isn't May yet, I'm going to try to start fresh today. 😊

Happy Friday Eve!!

No comments: