Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Currently

Currently we are wrapping up the school year and trying to survive the total craziness of May. It's been wild but we are doing it and almost there! I hate that I haven't been able to document the past couple of months like I would've liked. I've missed blogging regularly something serious. So an update is overdue. 

Here's a look at the details happening around the Selph household currently...

*Eating... Our eating habits lately have been all over the place. Thanks to the busyness of this time of year and mama's exhausted state, I've cooked some simple meals, I've skipped cooking, we've had whatever we can find around the house, and we've had take-out. So a little bit of everything. This week we are having pizza twice since the boys' baseball parties/banquets are both happening this week... and we're also having tacos per Garrison's request before his tonsillectomy on Friday. Not the healthiest week ever, but I'm not complaining!

*Planning... Currently we are planning for Garrison's tonsillectomy. (Prayers are very much appreciated.) It's not going to be the most fun start to summer ever, but we are ready to get it over with and put all of the sickies that plague our firstborn behind us! We've bought lots of food he can eat and enjoy and are trying to determine a game plan for his downtime... and also how to manage little brothers in the process. We're also planning for a June full of out of town trips. We aren't 100% positive we'll make it on our anniversary trip next month (it will all depend on Garrison's recovery), but we're hoping we can. We're also heading to Gatlinburg for a long weekend and heading to the beach for our annual summer vacay. It's going to be a busy month!

*Loving... The school year wrap up! The past 10 weeks of me working full time in the midst of baseball and tutoring and homework and mom-life, etc. have been a shock to the system and a MAJOR whirlwind. So I am especially thankful to be wrapping up the craziness and welcoming Summer Break! 

I'm also really loving this last month of school with my Kindergartners. It's just a fun time of year and excitement is in the air. =) Even though I experienced some reeeally trying times after starting full time, I've fallen in love with my class and with Kindergarten in general. God knew exactly what I needed in going back to work and I'm so grateful for His grace.

*Not Loving... Stress about my job status for next year, hot weather, not sleeping all night, and how quickly my house seems to get messy. 

*Watching... We have been watching lots of season finales or episodes leading up to season finales lately. And they've been so good! We've finished this season of Scorpion and Blindspot and are closing in on the end of Hawaii Five-O, Blue Bloods, and Survivor. We've also been watching lots of Braves games and Atlanta United games. =)

*Reading...  I recently finished The Magnolia Story (Chip and Joanna's testimony of how "Magnolia" came to be) and loved it. It's a really neat inside look at them as individuals and then how they came together. They didn't have an easy road to get where they are now. And I would say even now, it isn't easy. But God's faithfulness and plan is all over their story. If you love them as a couple or just admire their work then I would recommend the book.

I just started Nancy Thayer's The Guest Cottage and so far it has me hooked! I loooove a good beach read. And Nancy Thayer is similar to my favorite "beach read" author Elin Hilderbrand, so I can't go wrong with her. I'm looking forward to lots more good books in my future!

*Trying... To soak up these last days of school and to truly savor our summer. Once I started working full time, I got overwhelmed, stressed out, stretched thin, and exhausted so fast that I went straight into survival mode. I didn't focus on the present very well, I didn't slow down very much (not by choice mind you), and I didn't enjoy the craziness at all. So now that baseball is over, the school year is almost done, and a slower pace is coming soon I really want to enjoy it and soak it up. It's sometimes easier said than done, but being intentional and being grateful goes a long way.

*Hoping... For a smooth surgery for Garrison and a smooth and speedy recovery! We're ready to put it behind us and praying everything goes great. Having just been through the recovery myself last year I'm hoping I can really help to make it a good one. Again, prayers are appreciated. I think we're all nervous and anxious to get it over with.

*Wanting... Extra rest and downtime (which is coming soon thankfully!), my littles to handle Garrison's recovery well (there's already been some concern and tears over Garrison not being able to play for a while), a pool (still don't have an exact time table but every summer the longing is strong!), and................. I'd really like a full time position teaching. Gasp! I'm just as shocked and confused as you are. Ha. The whole experience of going back to work has been a TOTAL roller coaster. #alltheemojis But, now that I'm almost done, I've realized and accepted this is my profession, my calling. Plus I've enjoyed my class so much, enjoyed teaching again lots, and honestly given how hard I've worked, I feel the tug to be the real thing, not just a "sub". My feelings, emotions, and even prayers over this have been all over the place, but next year Layton will start preschool and be one year away from PreK and the hope of financial freedom after living 8 years on only 1 full time income is a really big deal and amazing hope. =) God knows best and I'm trusting in His plan..... Nervous and even a little anxious, but excited and hopeful about what He knows is best for our family and what He will provide through His perfect plan.

*Needing... Peace going into this summer not knowing what the upcoming school year will bring. Also a successful surgery and full and quick recovery for my baby coming up!

And that's a little peek at life around here currently. Hope to be back to blogging lots more this summer! Thanks for praying for Garrison!

No comments: