Monday, January 28, 2013

It's a Date!

For the past few years Terrell and I have a scheduled a much needed date sometime during the month of January. January usually comes with cabin fever and lots of built up energy and new toys everywhere and a worn out mama and daddy... in other words, perfect timing for a date and a little time away from the house. Our annual January date starts around lunch time and wraps up with dinner that night. Perfect indeed. =) 

This year there weren't any movies out we wanted to see so we decided to skip a movie and spend all our time shopping. My hubby is the best! I've been attempting a semi living room makeover lately so we focused our energy on accomplishing some things for the house.

(My makeover does not include new furniture so it's subtle, inexpensive changes that won't break the bank yet provide some change. Looking at almost the exact same decor I've had since we got married was starting to wear on my nerves.)

My parents came over to keep the boys and we went out to lunch and then spent lots of time in Hobby Lobby, Target, TJ Maxx, Kirklands... it was wonderful. We didn't make purchases at every store but I browsed and took my time and got ideas so it was definitely a success.

*All pictures were taken with my phone...


Here's one of our purchases... my "dramatic" S. It's big and bold and dramatic but I like it. =)  The other S's I found were waaay smaller and we have really high ceilings so this is the one that fit the spot the best.
 


The other purchase we made was this little chalkboard frame. It was half-off (LOVE Hobby Lobby!) and something I'd been thinking about for a while. I put it on the wall just before going into my kitchen. And I stole a line from a sign I saw in Hobby Lobby... plus added a family picture. I'm going to love writing little messages on it.
 
Our other purchases were a few more things for Garrison's birthday party we needed. I think we're finally ready to celebrate in a couple weeks! The rest of our time was spent looking. I'm trying my best to figure out what to do with my mantle. Such a tough one. But it was nice to have so much time to just look and talk and enjoy each other's company.  
 
Another decorative change included in our makeover is new pillows... they arrived Friday night and I am really liking them. It changes the look of our couches and even the room. 
 
After wrapping up all our shopping we went out to eat using a gift card we got for Christmas. Double yay! We had the best time together. And my boys had lots of fun too. So much fun that Garrison actually fell asleep during nap time for the first time in about 2 weeks. He was worn out pretty soon after they got there I guess! They also got to go out to eat and order dessert with Granna and Papa. What a treat!

When we got home Austin was in the bed asleep and my mom was putting Garrison to bed. The timing worked out great because then we watched a movie we rented on our way home. It is rare for us to have a chance to watch a movie together so it was a great way to wrap up our date. Thanks so much Granna and Papa!!!

Yesterday morning when Garrison called for me because he was awake and ready to get up I went in and got a big hug from him. Then mid-embrace he said I'm so glad you're back. Melt. my. heart. It was the sweetest thing ever. AndI'llneverleaveyouagainbaby. =) And people wonder why it's hard for me to be away... seeing them after time apart is the best!

Yesterday afternoon I spent lots of time working on stuff for school. We do crafts every week, but the coming weeks are even busier because of Valentine's Day. Being a teacher makes the holidays even more fun.

 
I also spent lots of time with my boys... and they spent lots of time playing in the box the pillows came in. =)
 
Our date was one of the best and so was our weekend! Happy Monday everybody!

No comments: