Monday, January 7, 2013

Back in the Swing of Things

Today was our first day back to school after an almost 2.5 week break. The break was long and needed and glorious. We enjoyed the holidays to the fullest and had lots of family time. We slept later than normal, had unlimited play time, had more time with daddy, and had just enough cabin fever to make us appreciate a place to be this morning. 

Before having my babies, going back to school after breaks was always hard. I dreaded going back, felt anxious and nervous, and never slept good the night before. But I have to say, returning to school after this break, it wasn't too bad. Other than dreaming about  pet-friendly condos and townhomes and the pros and cons of every possible vacation rental we've researched (another post possibly coming soon), the night before went great. Things felt pretty normal. We made lunches, laid out everyone's clothes, got the boys bathed and in bed, and stressed out over booking our family vacation. Ahhhh. Can you tell I'm slightly obsessed with the whole topic of vacation? Next year we will be prepared. No more waiting til the last minute of the first of January to book our summer vacation. Gracious.

Anyway, enough about that. I think what makes "going back" so much easier this time around is that we all go together.... to preschool. While my boys being at school with me before and after the school day can drive me crazy on a regular basis, it's nice to all be at the same place. I see them both throughout the day and can check on them whenever I want. Then, there's the fact that I only work half a day, 3 days a week. Plus, I really enjoy my job. Thank you Lord!

Over the break it was really tempting to start to feel blah about having to work. Being home was nice. Things felt simpler. Like they should. Terrell went to work stress-free every morning. I ran errands, got things done around the house, and had lots of quality time with my boys. If someone wasn't feeling well I was home. No need for anyone to take off. No need to call one of the grandparents to ask them to take off. Being home just felt right.

Don't get me wrong, we had our challenges. It's been freezing cold lately and being stuck inside made for some loooong days. We all celebrated the minute daddy walked in the door. We had some brotherly squabbles. We had some trouble listening and obeying mama. Things weren't easy-breezy. But they were normal. And made me have a teensy longing to be home full time. Cue the temptation to feel discontent and have a pity party.

But I fought the temptation hard. Because feeling discontent really doesn't help matters any. At all. Honestly, it makes me feel worse. So I focused on the positive. The fact that I only work part time and that I work at a really great preschool. The fact that I have a job. The fact that I'm there with my children and we're all on the same schedule. The fact that because of my job, I just enjoyed a 2.5 week break. The positives are numerous. And choosing to have an attitude of thanksgiving and gratefulness made me feel lots better. I need to apply this same way of thinking to a few other areas I struggle with and get worked up about.

Our day back today was good. The boys had a good day. I had a good day. Even daddy had a good day- AND woke up earlier to make sure we could all get out the door on time. Now if we can just get this vacation booked, we'll all have an even better day. Ha!

No comments: