Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Garrison News

I have lots of little updates to give about my boys and thought I'd split everything up into two different posts. Garrison is up first...



*My firstborn is LOVING school... so much so that he now goes every single day. He's always been in a 5 day a week class but since I'm only there 3 of those days we started the school year with him only going Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. We always considered sending him 4 or 5 days once he got adjusted to being back in school so I could still have some one on one time with Austin, but Garrison actually made the decision to go everyday all by himself. He eventually realized he was missing out on some cool stuff his class was doing when he wasn't there and told us he wanted to go every day that his class went. It's worked out really good so far for all of us. I am planning to start keeping him home with me one or two Thursdays out of the month but I'm not sure how he'll take it. Ha! I guess I'll have to plan something extra special so he won't beg to go to school!

*Speaking of school... Garrison has a few new best buds. Two of the boys are in his class and one of them is my co-teacher's son who is 4 and in the Pre-K class. All 3 of his new friends are also "staff kids" so they are there before and after school with us, which isn't always a good thing. Haha. I'm excited about him having close friends in his class, however, I think they may be getting a "group" reputation. Oh dear. As a teacher, this kind of terrifies me. I don't want my child to be that child. As a parent I'm working on the appropriate reaction to this developing news along with thinking and praying about appropriate consequences if further issues arise. On one hand, they're just doing what all friends do together at school- talking and playing and having fun together, on the other hand there is a line that we don't want to cross if that behavior becomes disruptive or disobedient or disrepectful. Okay, now my stomach is in a knot...

*Speaking of friends... Garrison also has a new favorite friend in one of our neighbor's. She's about a year younger than him but he loves when she's outside with her parents and wants to come over to play on our slide or practice tee ball or soccer with him. Even though they play really well together, because they're so young, her mom or dad (or both) come over with her. And that's how I know that play dates with someone I don't know that well would give me anxiety. I stink at small talk. But the kids have fun and we get to know the neighbors a little better so I guess it's a win win.

*Speaking of playing outside... Garrison now gives Austin occassional rides in his car. And I have to say that seeing my 2 boys riding around together just makes my heart happy. Garrison is very careful and protective when he's driving Austin around and they just look too cute.



*Speaking of Austin... Garrison isn't always nice to his little brother. And that makes my heart sad. I'm not sure if he's just too rough or if he intentionally wants to be mean and bully him. It's probably a little of both. And most of the time Terrell and I are at a loss about how to prevent it from happening again. I know they're going to have scuffles and that they're not going to get along perfectly every second of the day, but I do expect them to be able to play together and share and get along most of the time... and Garrison has to take the lead on all this because he's 3 and a half and Austin has no idea how to.

Garrison really struggles with sharing with Austin. A lot of the time he's rough and mean to Austin when Austin starts playing with one of his toys (or is in pursuit of one of his toys). But sometimes there's not a good reason for him being rough with him. And I find myself so frustrated and discouraged because as they get older I just want them to be best friends and enjoy playing together and doing things together. I'm hoping some of it is Austin's age. He is into everything. He can't talk except for a few words. He can't keep up with Garrison. He does get into Garrison's toys all the time. He is still a baby. However, we can't tolerate Garrison being unkind and mean to his brother. There is no excuse that makes that okay.

Another thing that's frustrating is that Garrison is SO loving and sweet at times. He'll kiss Austin randomly and tell him he loves him. He asks about Austin first thing every morning. He looks out for him and tells us when he wants his milk or paci. He tries comforting him when he's upset. And he even willingly shares his toys with him, without any prompting from us, on occassion. I just don't get it. Ahhh.

I'm definitely going to be praying about it. It's so important to me that they are close, for like their entire lives, and these little rough patches we've had make me worry about their future relationship a little. It's probably crazy (at least I'm hoping!) but I'm going to cover it in prayer and try not to stress over it. Praying about it and seeking wisdom for how to handle each and every situation is all we can do. Garrison was the best big brother EVER when Austin was a "baby baby". Before Austin became mobile Garrison loved on him and was gentle and sweet and caring every second. He was as close to the perfect big brother as you can get. I guess the honeymoon's over now. And mama isn't liking it!

*And since I don't want to wrap up on a negative note, I have to brag on him for just a sec. The little man learned how to write his name! I've been wanting him to learn how for some time now but didn't want to push him too hard or make him frustrated to the point that he'd lose interest. He still does a sometimes backwards "G" and "s" and always does a capital "A" but he can write it and I'm oh so proud!

He has also memorized another Bible verse. Our verse this month at school to go along with our theme of the month, Dinosaurs, is In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1. And Garrison can recite it! He also knows that dinosaurs are extinct and "no more" and that carnivores are meat eaters and herbivores are plant eaters. Yay for learning another Bible verse, new vocabulary, and all about dinosaurs!

That's about it for Garrison's news. Austin is up next. =)

No comments: