Thursday, September 20, 2012

Austin News

Time for an update on what's been happening with my littlest man...

*He is loving riding around in his car outside. We usually just follow Garrison around in his car... I think he's fascinated with Garrison's big, loud car. Most of the time he sort of chills while he's riding but he also really likes blowing the horn and dancing to the music when we turn it on.



*A few weeks ago we bought Garrison a new car seat that will convert into a booster without the harness and moved Austin into Garrison's seat but turned it rear facing. You would think Austin would be waaay more comfortable in his new roomy seat, but for some reason ever since we changed his seat it's pretty much guaranteed that he's going to cry when we put him in it. He arches his back and stiffens up and lets out a pitiful, I'mabouttothrowafit cry to let us know he isn't happy. Then he's fine in approximately 15-30 seconds. Just like that. Crazy.

*Austin Selph is LOVING table food. At every meal he eats like he hasn't eaten in days. He eats fast and with serious concentration. Baby boy is on a mission during meal times. He loves cheese, almost any type of fruit, potatoes, green beans, peas, spaghetti, tomatoes, bread, turkey meat, applesauce, cherrios, and any snack that Gerber offers. The good news is that so far he's a great eater and we've been through the whole is it possible we're over-feeding him? thing with Garrison and he turned out fine and never had any obesity issues. (Haha) The bad news is he eats a crazy amount of food and seems like a bottomless pit. We need a cost of living raise. 


*Something else Austin really loves is taking a bath in the big bathtub. (Things became a little unsafe in the small bathtub a while back. He could stand up, he could splash and kick and empty half the water on me and the rest of the bathroom. It just wasn't a good situation anymore.) As soon as I get him down to his diaper and turn on the water he's lifting up one of his little legs trying to climb in by himself. He loves the bathtub. Usually I give Austin a bath before Garrison because Austin goes to bed a little earlier and it just seems easier doing one at a time. Occasionally there might be 2 minutes of overlap when they're both in the tub together but usually we keep it separate. Garrison needs more water in the tub and enjoys bubble baths and lots of playtime, but with Austin I keep it short and sweet. And we can tag team because I do Austin's baths and Terrell does Garrison's baths and it works out good for everybody.

*Last week Austin and I went for his 1 year check-up and had the worst experience ever. Long story short, I got there way too early because it wasn't worth it for me to go home after dropping Garrison off at school and we had a looong wait plus it was naptime and by the time the nurse called for us, Austin was over it and sort of lost it. Which meant I almost lost it. It was just terrible. He scremed and cried and refused to be cooperative and was just DONE before the check up was even underway. And it was totally my fault for getting there too early. Anyway, since he was clinging to me like his life depended on it we had to get his weight by me standing on the scale while holding him and then the nurse prying him away so I could stand on the scale by myself. He was squimy and clingy and I was flustered and tense. We finally got it done but aren't sure how accurate it was because his weight ended up being a little over 19 pounds... putting him in the 10th percentile. If I wasn't in the middle of a nightmarish doctor appointment I would have questioned this (or let it freak me out) but instead I was focused on surviving the appointment and getting out of there ASAP. Austin has consistently remained in the 25th-50th percentile for height and weight since birth and we know he eats good and isn't starving and we know he has high metabolism, so we're just going to let it be until his 15 month appointment when I plan on arriving on time and not a minute sooner. Good gracious.

*Austin is still a big time mama's boy, however, he's becoming more and more excited to see daddy when he gets home from work. He loves on daddy for a minute and then comes right back to mama. And he is still the biggest cuddle bug ever. I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts! =)

I think I'm caught up on news and updates for both boys now. Next week is our Fall Break from school so I probably won't stay caught up for long. I can't wait for a week off and for lots of family time!!

No comments: