Wednesday, February 16, 2011

2 Year Check-Up

This morning we had Garrison's 2 year appointment with his doctor. Everything looks great with the little man, physically and developmentally. Other than him yelling at me to read to him while I was trying to talk to the doctor and him gagging and crying when she looked at his throat, the visit as a whole went great. He was a little apprehensive about everything but didn't seem to have this major negative association with being at the doctor, in the exam room, etc. Of course, he didn't need shots today so that was a huge help.

Garrison weighed 27 lbs 8 oz and was 34 inches long. He's in the 25th percentile for weight and the 25th-50th percentile for height. Unless something major changes it looks like he will always have my high metabolism (something he won't like or appreciate as he grows and wants to be big and strong) and hopefully be about as tall as his daddy (which means we-Terrell, probably shouldn't hold his breath on Garrison having a future as a professional athlete... but anything is possible.) She said that we'll know more about his potential height and weight as he gets older, but right now she predicts him being a very "average" sized adult. I had to ask her her prediction because I have a fear of Garrison being extra short and thin (and it will be all my fault so of course he'll blame me) and struggling with self-image. Oh my. It's way too soon to be thinking about that sort of thing. I'm not sure why I even let my mind go there.

We also discussed his diet, introducing the potty, child-proofing everything, language development, etc. I was able to answer yes to all the questions they asked me except him being able to jump, and him washing and drying his hands by himself. He has actually just become interested in jumping and has attempted it several times the past few days. Most of the time he does a little skip and can't get both feet off the ground at the same time. Although I'm almost positive that he did a real, live jump with both feet off the ground the other night. Of course I'm the only witness so I can't be sure. ha! As far as washing and drying his hands... we have a stool at his bathroom sink but he still can't reach all the way under the water so we're pretty much doing all the hand washing and drying for him at this point.

The little man also has a little cold right now so we talked about that. Thankfully it doesn't seem to be anything major. He hasn't had a fever and she saw no signs of an ear infection today so all we can do at this point is try to keep his nose cleaned out with a suction and by using saline drops. She did give me permission to give him Children's Benadryl at night, so we may try that if he gets any worse.

All in all, things looked great with the little man and it was a very successful check-up. He doesn't have to go back for a whole year. My baby is growing up. He even stood on the scale this time instead of getting on the baby scale. I guess he'll have to go back with his new baby brother or sister but the next time he goes for his own check-up he'll truly be a big boy. But I'm not going think about that right now. He just turned two so we're going to focus on the here and now (and enjoy the pretty weather today!) If he's up to it when he wakes up we'll be having snack time outside and I'll be taking him for a walk pulling him in his wagon. =)

No comments: